Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so we have had a You Tube video put out by Bachmann showing us all the latest releases so,

Leaving aside things like Deseasals
Cars and buses
and stuff like that

OO9 is represented by the double Fairlees and there is some coverage of the Baldwin 10-12-D and the Quarry Hunslets figure quite prominently and they are the newest yet to be released models, OK m ay try one of those when the time comes....

In so far as OO steam is concerned despite looking closely I found nothing of note, the V2's we already have but is you like the deisel then there is much for you to look forward to

If you like steam - unless I missed it - ZILCH

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That video covers newly announced additions to the range; there are also a number of previously announced models due shortly including:
Jun/Jul:
4575 2-6-2T 32-131A 5526 GWR Green (Great Western) 32-132 4571 BR Lined Green (Early Emblem)
64XX 0-6-0PT 31-635B 6414 GWR Green (GWR) 31-639 6421 BR Lined Green (Early Emblem)
L&YR Class 5 2-4-2T 31-168A 10730 LMS Crimson Lake (LMS), 31-171 1042 L&YR Lined Black
Standard 3MT 2-6-2T 31-976B 82041 BR Lined Green (Late Crest) 31-982 82018 BR Lined Black (Late Crest)
Jul/Aug
Standard 4MT 2-6-0 32-954A 76084 BR Lined Black (Early Emblem) BR2A Tender 32-956 76066 BR Lined Black (Late Crest) BR1B Tender

Further ahead
Dec/Jan
Fairburn 2-6-4T 32-875A 2245 LMS Black (Original)
Feb/Mar
Standard 9F with BR1F Tender 32-852A 92069 BR Black (Early Emblem) 32-859A 92212 BR Black (Late Crest)

·
In depth idiot
8,184 Posts
The commissioned ex-NER G5 is still due, but now not until 2023 at the earliest then. Could that be the last small steam loco in OO from Bachmann I wonder? Remembering that they led the charge in essential small steam locos produced to the same standard as express locos, ending the then prevailing scheme of Hornby's 'If it is small, black and unglamorous, only if it can be mangled to fit on a generic six coupled mechanism'; that will be something of a sad marker. (Glass half full: a 2-4-2T and 0-4-4T, 7 x 0-6-0T, 3 x 0-6-2T, 5 x 0-6-0; not a a bad haul - did I miss any?)

Unless my eyes glazed over at the critical moment still no sign of their Thompson coaches in BR maroon. What appeared to be a limited volume release of these in BR carmine and cream 'evaporated' pretty swiftly, so I am pretty sure there is demand...

Had to edit to remove a superfluous 'T'.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
The commissioned ex-NER G5 is still due, but now not until 2023 at the earliest then.
Would that be the G5 that was brought south to work the Saffron Walden push/pull service between Audley End and Bartlow? If so this is going to cost me plenty as I have the two coach brass kit of that set that needs to be built. I have been hesitating because it needs the G5 to make it look right for the post war steam era.

My skill level is way short of building that kit so I will have to pay an expert to do it. Let me think ................ was it Ian Willets who built my other GER coaches? Now where are his details .................... ?

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The commissioned ex-NER G5 is still due, but now not until 2023 at the earliest then.
As a commissioned model its not listed on Bachmanns web site where the expected dates for the others are given. It is according to the latest Bachmann Times at the Livery Artwork stage, the same as the OO9 Quarry Hunlsets which are quoted on Bachmanns web site as having a Jan/Feb 2023 release

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
The G5 is a TMC commission and the first variant is advertised as being Q4 2022. I called TMC to ask when the GER variant would be available but was told that this model had been dropped as the tooling would have been prohibitively expensive for just 3 possible locos that were shedded at Cambridge for work on the Saffron Walden branch up to 1956.

TMC advised that I should wait to see the first production samples and then I would be able to judge how close to the East Anglian variant it was. I will do that.

I am not sure why this loco seems so interesting; looking at this: Disused Stations: Cambridge Station I read that the G5's were not popular to GE footplatemen. I never saw one but did spot an N7 at Cambridge, allocated to take over in 1956. I think that must have been around 1958 when the push/pull set was being ousted by the German single rail car. As I have a model of the railcar and the N7, a G5 would make my post war Saffron Walden branch line stud nigh on complete ................. as long as I have the push/pull set built.

Happy days. The obsessiveness of us old chaps is frightening/boring/laughable etc. You choose which fits.

Best regards ..................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
In depth idiot
8,184 Posts
... I read that the G5's were not popular to GE footplatemen. I never saw one but did spot an N7 at Cambridge, allocated to take over in 1956...
That will mostly be the usual thing, familiarity with the home team's design. Especially as by general report the N7 was a good machine for its class of work from the crew perspective, comfortable cab and riding, free steaming and easy to fire, and the very effective Westinghouse brake. (Likewise GE section crews were typically none too happy when GN N2's and J50's came their way: the power side was all good, but the N2 cab floor all up and down, the riding could be hard on both, and J50's often didn't have the brake force to match the traction when the blocks were worn. Of course experienced GN crews just put the reverser in the other direction and helped her stop with a little steam applied.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts