Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Spent much of today playing around with my Bachmann Class 20 with sound.

Playing around with the Select I have noticed that the inertia settings are the key to getting a good sound effect. The default inertia settings are 8/64 for acceleration and 6/64 for the Class 20. Increasing this to about 25/65 brings in the cruising sound at a lower level of speed and all the effects up and down the power bandwidth seem to last longer (obviously!) and kick in and more appropriate moments. The longer inertia settings definitely add to the realism with the 14 grain wagons being hauled.

Setting shunting speed "on" provides plenty of chug chug sounds as the motor picks up and slows down again during slow speed shunting operations with plenty of brake squeel. Longish inertia settings here do make for a very authentic shunting experience.

The sound is set at maximum volume 64 out of 64 and unless you have a console that can change CV values or have access to a console that can change CV values then you are unable to alter this sound level. Neither the EZ-Command or the Select permit this. The defualt setting may be a bit loud for some.

Using the Select for your chosen loco you press both the function button and the function number keeping them both depressed and after 2 seconds the horn sounds or whatever. With the EZ-Command you press the function button once and the keypad numbers then act as function numbers for the chosen loco. Press the function button once again and the keypad buttons act as loco address buttons.

Those who are seriously into sound and high specification decoders will require a console that that can change CV values. Budget console offerings do not permit this. I don't think anybody could have any issues with the slow speed running of the loco which is very smooth considering the base loco (ex sound) could be considered as almost budget!

Sound definitely adds to the play value of a layout and could certainly influence my choice of models going forward.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh! I thought yours had arrived.

Ontracks having sold out I looked elsewhere at one or two names suggested.

Wifey cannot get to used to the inertia settings and has failed miserably to stop anywhere near the markers I set up for her. Women drivers!

She does agree that that trains do start and stop like this and that the sound makes it more realistic. The shunting button F7 is her favourite button as it means she can slow the train down and speed it up again without having to touch the control knob. Thats female logic for you.

Regular use of the two tone horn is made when the train appears from behind the pile of books.

My guess is if it keeps all the men quieter for longer then Bachmann Sound is a hit with the ladies!

And it means that they now know where we are when they are looking for us. They just have to use their ears!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had mine for nearly a fortnight, got it from MGSharps, Attercliffe,Sheffield. However, looking at the Hattons Website, they appear to have new stock, if that is possible. I know a Bachmann dealer who was seriously let down by Bachmann in the supply of these models, but that is another story!

I use a ZTC 511 as the controller,and, apart from changing CV3, I have made no other changes. So apart from being quite loud (which I don't mind) the fact that it does as it says straight from the box is P.D.G according to today's goings on .

As the decoder is ESU design, it is making me head towards either the Dynamis (ESU) or the ESU Ecos controller, as an addition to the ZTC511.

Have fun with this great addition to the model world.

I am looking forward to the Deltic Pinza

·
DT
4,794 Posts
My Class 20 has arrived

I'll take some photos over the next few days and append some info to the Class 20 review.

A very pleasing experience indeed. You don't need many sound equipped models to fill the room with authentic sounds of a railway.

I lowered the volume immediately (to 25/64) as it seemed a bit loud. I set the cab controller's function outputs to 'momentary' for functions 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 so that you don't have to press twice.

I'll play around with the inertia settings as Gary suggests. I did note that you had to accelerate quite fast over 20/28 to get the putting of the motor to sound.

The braking is great and the squeal of the wheels when it comes to a stop is very authentic.

So I asked the wife what she thought of it - as we were discussing wives and their attitude to sound equipped locos, she just replied: "Toys!" - Well you can now see what I have to put up with

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 23 Feb 2007, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The braking is great and the squeal of the wheels when it comes to a stop is very authentic.

So I asked the wife what she thought of it - as we were discussing wives and their attitude to sound equipped locos, she just replied: "Toys!" - Well you can now see what I have to put up with

I ususally get something like "if it keeps you happy dear" or the simple "very nice dear".

Maybe we could start a thread on wife/girlfriend/other half's comments

It's amazing just how far the brake squeal sound travels !

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Here is the Class 20 with DCC Sound:

Camera is a little shaky as I was zooming, panning and driving the loco all at once.

Start-up, a little sping ion the turntable and then off on a quick run up and down the ramp. Back to the turntable and shut-down. Listen out for acceleration, braking and air-release.

Note that I set the loco to go at speed step 3 right at start-up. The delay is built in and I suppose is required to let the engine start and warm up. It heads off to the turntable when the procedure is complete.

Direct link to video. Better quality than YouTube, but it might not stream. Class 20 Link

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got my 20 home and a reduced ez command, sound is great if not a little tinny sounding but great all the same, well pleased

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I've dropped the volume to 15/64 and it sounds better. I've raised the acceleration and deceleration settings to 15.

Fantastic loco. I'd rate it as fantastic. It hasn't left my layout since I got it. It's going to get really dusty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 24 Feb 2007, 22:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've dropped the volume to 15/64 and it sounds better. I've raised the acceleration and deceleration settings to 15.

Fantastic loco. I'd rate it as fantastic. It hasn't left my layout since I got it. It's going to get really dusty.
can i change these with the ez comm?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't change the sound volume settings and other CV controls with EZ-Command.

An ex Class 20 driver who has heard the Class 20 says its sounds just like the real thing. They were noisy locos from a drivers point of view and drivers used to drive them with all windows shut when possible which meant the cab getting hot in summer. This was not often possible however as when used for shunting operations you needed to peer out of the cab to see what was going on.

Lots of talk of being able to use the same sound decoder in a Class 40.

The sound setting is so loud that Warley MRC have instructed members to limit horn use (junior members got told off for prolific horn use!) as it echoes all around the building and disturbs those reading in the library!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'd vouch for that. It drowns out a couple of my US diesels with 5 and 6 chime airhorns which I think are still to loud. Burt when all is said it's brilliant model except I can't get the cab off to stick some crew in it as it appears to be glued? in place.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Gary @ 25 Feb 2007, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The sound setting is so loud that Warley MRC have instructed members to limit horn use (junior members got told off for prolific horn use!) as it echoes all around the building and disturbs those reading in the library!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have not had to open this model up. What a bonus. If I didn't have to open another model I wouldn't.

It had very good tractive power. It goes up both my ramps without a fuss. Even the down-ramp which most other locos can't manage.

I showed the model to a couple of friends yesterday who were very impressed with the sound. We just need some lights on the thing to make it perfect. Are there any free function outputs on this decoder for lights?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Lots of talk of being able to use the same sound decoder in a Class 40.
Interesting you should say that. As soon as I started watching Doug's video clip I was reminded of a class 40.

I am just so green that you diesel guys are starting to get some good sound models to run. Maybe I will have to move my era forward 10 years?

David

·
Registered
50 Posts
can i use some-one elses system to reset my cv's then use it on mine with the amended settings?, sorry new to all this hi tech stuff.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 25 Feb 2007, 22:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>can i use some-one elses system to reset my cv's then use it on mine with the amended settings?, sorry new to all this hi tech stuff.
Yes you can. Take it along to a friend, shop or a club, get the settings right and then run it on your home system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks doug i'll try to find someone local to me, i was advised to wait and buy a mre expensive system but i bought this on inpulse un boxed from a set you know its one of them things you see it and got to have it!.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would the SPROG11 be able to program the sound chip in the 20?
I have the Hornby Select and couldnt resist one of these which ids hotfooting its way from Hattons.

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Please read the other threads Zep75 as you dont want to wreck you new class 20 Loco there are some concerns with Bachmann DCC On board locos and Hornby DCC contollers.

Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts