Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
My Class 20 has arrived

I'll take some photos over the next few days and append some info to the Class 20 review.

A very pleasing experience indeed. You don't need many sound equipped models to fill the room with authentic sounds of a railway.

I lowered the volume immediately (to 25/64) as it seemed a bit loud. I set the cab controller's function outputs to 'momentary' for functions 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 so that you don't have to press twice.

I'll play around with the inertia settings as Gary suggests. I did note that you had to accelerate quite fast over 20/28 to get the putting of the motor to sound.

The braking is great and the squeal of the wheels when it comes to a stop is very authentic.

So I asked the wife what she thought of it - as we were discussing wives and their attitude to sound equipped locos, she just replied: "Toys!" - Well you can now see what I have to put up with

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Here is the Class 20 with DCC Sound:

Camera is a little shaky as I was zooming, panning and driving the loco all at once.

Start-up, a little sping ion the turntable and then off on a quick run up and down the ramp. Back to the turntable and shut-down. Listen out for acceleration, braking and air-release.

Note that I set the loco to go at speed step 3 right at start-up. The delay is built in and I suppose is required to let the engine start and warm up. It heads off to the turntable when the procedure is complete.

Direct link to video. Better quality than YouTube, but it might not stream. Class 20 Link

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have not had to open this model up. What a bonus. If I didn't have to open another model I wouldn't.

It had very good tractive power. It goes up both my ramps without a fuss. Even the down-ramp which most other locos can't manage.

I showed the model to a couple of friends yesterday who were very impressed with the sound. We just need some lights on the thing to make it perfect. Are there any free function outputs on this decoder for lights?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.