Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started to fit a DCC decoder into this loco. When I removed the main part of the body (which interestingly does not include the bunker) I discovered that there was daylight between the boiler and the side tanks. Is this a fault and my one is starting to come apart? On the other hand is it a faithful reproduction of a feature of the prototype?

Thanks to anyone who can help, Robert.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Hi Robert

The side tanks were in fact totally separate from the boiler, and held in place among other places by "tank straps" bolted at the tank top / to the boiler. Its correct for the tank to not be perfectly mated to the boiler. I had a look at it on my own model some time ago and approved of the way Hornby had done it as it looked right to me.... It never is when tanks and bioler are one moulding.

but given your comment, I can't really judge - how much gap is "daylight". If both are the same, then I'd think it is as it should be.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
For those of use who have dropped tools, paintbrushes, spanners, etc. down the gap between tanks and boiler (of the prototype) I can assure you there is some "daylight" there!

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Thanks for both replies. The gap is the same both sides and not much more than a millimetre so it is obviously correct.
I think that the tank straps have even been modelled

I'm reassured that the model is not faulty. Cheers, Robert.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 27 Mar 2009, 07:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For those of use who have dropped tools, paintbrushes, spanners, etc. down the gap between tanks and boiler (of the prototype) I can assure you there is some "daylight" there!

Some daylight.....

Now there's an understatement, the real trick is recovering said item!

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts