Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Bachmann Europe Plc despatched two versions of the new British Railways Standard 4MT Class 4-6-0 (75xxx Class) to its dealers yesterday. These items will be available in shops from today.

The decision to replace the original 30-year-old 4MT model was announced at Bachmann's Trade Open Days in July 2007. The result is a brand new model that encompasses a number of features including opening smokebox door, sliding roof sky-lights, tender options and single or double chimney versions. All versions are fitted with an 8PIN DCC decoder socket.

Two versions are being released today including 31-115 No. 75027 in BR lined green (heavily weathered) which forms part of the End of Steam collection and 31-118 No. 75033 in BR lined black.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 24 Sep 2008, 18:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann Europe Plc despatched two versions of the new British Railways Standard 4MT Class 4-6-0 (75xxx Class) to its dealers yesterday. These items will be available in shops from today.

The decision to replace the original 30-year-old 4MT model was announced at Bachmann's Trade Open Days in July 2007. The result is a brand new model that encompasses a number of features including opening smokebox door, sliding roof sky-lights, tender options and single or double chimney versions. All versions are fitted with an 8PIN DCC decoder socket.

Two versions are being released today including 31-115 No. 75027 in BR lined green (heavily weathered) which forms part of the End of Steam collection and 31-118 No. 75033 in BR lined black.

**Thanks for posting about it Doug

I'm interested in one thing - this loco is talked about as one of the branchline series, yet it has some pretty spekky features as you mention.

I always thought of the branchline range as "less detailed and accurate" as the "Blue Riband" was initially created to differentiate the new top quality stuff... but that seems not so certain with this release....

Can Bachmann please qualify exactly what the key difference is between branchline and blue riband - it now seems a bit blurred as a marketplace differentiation mechanism to me

Richard

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to Bachmann, all new Branchline items are built to Blue Riband standards, so much so that with very few locos remaining from the pre-Blue Riband days they no longer use it in relation to their OO range (it is no longer used on the website or in the 2008 catalogue). However, since the publication of the 2008 Graham Farish catalogue, Bachmann have been using Blue Riband branding to differentiate the new generation of Bachmann designed products from the inherited range from the former Poole based company.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 24 Sep 2008, 23:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to Bachmann, all new Branchline items are built to Blue Riband standards, so much so that with very few locos remaining from the pre-Blue Riband days they no longer use it in relation to their OO range (it is no longer used on the website or in the 2008 catalogue). However, since the publication of the 2008 Graham Farish catalogue, Bachmann have been using Blue Riband branding to differentiate the new generation of Bachmann designed products from the inherited range from the former Poole based company.

Thanks Doug

Richard

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Did these have quite small diameter boilers or is it a combination of the scale and picture that makes it appear somewhat strange to my eye?

Just seems strange that the bottom of the boiler (from looking at the pic) appears to be higher than the top of the driving wheels.

John

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 25 Sep 2008, 08:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did these have quite small diameter boilers or is it a combination of the scale and picture that makes it appear somewhat strange to my eye?

Just seems strange that the bottom of the boiler (from looking at the pic) appears to be higher than the top of the driving wheels.
These were a smaller boilered class 5 to produce a lightweight 4-6-0 for secondary lines. In outline the boiler used on the Standard 4MTT slightly extended in the front parallel section, on the chassis of the class 5 with smaller coupled wheels and slightly reduced cylinder diameter. The boiler centre line is probably placed in the same position relative to the driving axle centres as on the larger loco (not in possession of the drawings to make certain of this): the model captures the consequent 'underboilered' appearance rather well, judging from the photographs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's a great model. Mine runs beautifully. And a first class finish too, with the White/grey and red MT lining that Hornby has been doing so well for a long time.

Judging from Hornby's pics their model will have a more highly detailed cab interior - big deal. They will do well to match the overall quality of this Bachmann product.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 24 Sep 2008, 10:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bachmann Europe Plc despatched two versions of the new British Railways Standard 4MT Class 4-6-0 (75xxx Class) to its dealers yesterday. These items will be available in shops from today.

If you purchase one mail-order examine it very carefully on arrival.

It is packed with the tender attached to the engine, the latter being very weighty. If the parcel gets dropped or shocked end on the weight of the engine shears off the rather insubstantial plastic lug attaching the tender. I had mine replaced by return of mail but it is the sort of damage that could easily be inflicted by the user so could lead to arguments with the supplier.

It is an excellent model but bit of a fiddle to get a decoder in it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I vaguely recall that the coupling rods on these locomotives should be fluted, yet it appears to be plain section on all of the Bachmann models?

Regards,

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts