Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,263 Posts
The close coupling position being impractical for anything but display is common to several Bachmann models as supplied. Usually it is because the intermediate buffers on the tender front are moulded on, and this effectively locks the tender in line with the loco so that it cannot take a curve. These can easily be filed down to allow as much swing as your layout curves require. This modifcation is invisble in operation, and practically so on close inspection, particularly if there is a fall plate.

The coupler bar coming unhitched is unusual. On many of my Bach locos it's the very devil to get it to disengage! Does it droop below the horizontal when seen from the side? If so I would remove it from the chassis, and bend it slightly so that it stands out horizontally

·
In depth idiot
8,263 Posts
KISS. An extending coupler is frankly overkill for most UK tender loco designs, this one included. Because the rear of the (fairly short) loco rigid wheelbase, and the front of the (fairly short) tender wheelbase are close, a drawbar on a pair of simple pivots is all that is required; provided that there are no obstructions on the loco and tender dragbox faces or other fouling between cab and tender roofs. The 'mistake' is to mould on items such as the intermediate buffer detail. Better to omit this, or if the detail is thought desireable fit properly sprung buffers.

I have modified loco-tender coupling arrangements as required on all my tender locos to obtain correct distance between loco and tender. 9F's and Peppercorn A1's will still negotiate curves down to 24" radius in this condition, smaller 2-6-0 and 0-6-0 types can get through set track points. Setting the distance 1 or 2 mm greater than scale will get the largest UK tender loco through set track points.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.