Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

The London & North Western Railway G2a Class locomotive is ready for traffic. These locomotives are better known as Super Ds and two versions have been despatched from Barwell to Bachmann dealers today (31-475 and 31-476).

The building of the first London & North Western 0-8-0 locomotive commenced in 1892 to Webb's design and a total of 509 locomotives went on to be built with modifications under the leadership of Whale, Bowen-Cooke and Beames. Further modifications were carried out under Hughes and Stanier. Initially conceived as a three cylinder compound they were followed by four cylinder versions after which Whale set about converting them to two cylinder simple engines. Whilst some locomotives retained the original boiler, others were fitted with the G Class boiler. Beginning in 1912 a superheated boiler was introduced.

The last development of the 0-8-0s was the introduction of the G2 Class in 1921 to the design of Charles J. Bowen-Cooke, though the order was placed under the tenure of Captain H.P.M. Beames, who succeeded Bowen-Cooke as Chief Mechanical Engineer.

The G2s were introduced between November 1921 and October 1922 and were a development of the earlier G1 Class. During their careers the locomotives received a Belpaire firebox to replace the round top design they received initially.

The locomotives worked all over the former London & North Western sections of the LMS and later British Railways. They were particularly useful pulling heavy freight trains on steeply graded routes including Shap and routes in Central and South Wales. Indeed the Class could be found from Abergavenny to Carlisle and just about everywhere else in between.

The first locomotives were withdrawn in 1947, with 478 locomotives passing into British Railways ownership the following year. With the introduction of diesels after 1955, major withdrawals commenced. The last of the class was withdrawn in 1964. One locomotive number 49395 was preserved and forms part of the National Collection. It has recently undergone a major overhaul at Pete Waterman's Crewe works.

Three models are being produced. Those despatched today are No. 49395 in BR black with early crest and tender cab (31-475) and No. 9449 in LMS black without tender back cab (31-476). The third version No. 49361 in BR black with late crest (31-477DC) with DCC ON BOARD will be despatched later. The recommended retail price will be £90.25 (DCC ON BOARD version £102.85).

To see an image of the Bachmann Super D model in a higher resolution, click here (1280 pixels wide)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
darn it...I've just drooled all over the key board.....

I'd love one........cannot afford/justify as yet....but..if I did buy one, I'd opt to remove that coupler, I think....worht the hassle of screw couplings and 3 links?

[after all, the loco would simply couple up, or uncouple, from a train? [leaving a 3F Jinty, or an earlier Johnson 3F tank to do the shunting......

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, these tension lock couplers look awful on these finely detailed locos. I remove the front one and the one on the back of the tender. I never drive my larger locos backwards pulling stock from the front.

·
Registered
276 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 4 Sep 2008, 19:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, these tension lock couplers look awful on these finely detailed locos. I remove the front one and the one on the back of the tender. I never drive my larger locos backwards pulling stock from the front.

It was quite common to see 'Duck-8's' working tender first. On locos with worn bearings, due for a works visit or scrapping, the 'waddle' was less fierce when running backwards.
Paul M.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
At least they acquired tender cabs in later life!

My initial impression of the Bachmann model is very good. I look forward to Doug's forthcoming review...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The first two releases have appared on Hattons website today - LMS and BR early crest. To my untrained eyes they look good and the cab detail appears to have been picked out carefully, similar to recent Hornby steam releases.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 4 Sep 2008, 17:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Three models are being produced. Those despatched today are No. 49395 in BR black with early crest and tender cab (31-475) and No. 9449 in LMS black without tender back cab (31-476). The third version No. 49361 in BR black with late crest (31-477DC) with DCC ON BOARD will be despatched later. The recommended retail price will be £90.25 (DCC ON BOARD version £102.85).

Interesting to note Hattons price £68, and Kernow's £74, quite a saving by quantity shifters.

mal

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 6 Sep 2008, 09:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine is ordered so it should be here next week. Looking forward to it.

Doug I hope your G2A arrives on Monday. Unbelievably Hattons got mine out to me at 0800 (early postman here) today (Saturday). It couldn't have even reached their workbench?

It is every bit as good as the pictures. The terrible looking front coupling has been removed and the guard irons fitted - needed super glue for these as they are metal onto a flat surface.

It certainly needs the recommended running in period as it was hesitant and jerky at first.

After a morning of slow bedding down it is now very smooth and takes thrirty plus loaded coal wagons over the undulating mineral branch with ease - easily outperforming the Ivatt class 4.

I have the LMS version and the detailed cab is perhaps the best yet from Bachmann. Pity to hide it with a back cab tender as on the BR version - but I am stuck in 1946/7 so there is no problem there for me. If you are thinking about this engine I can recommend it. Have fun.

John

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi John, welcome to the forum. I am so envious that you have yours running already.

I have already started the review - at least the historical part with some nice old photos. Just waiting for my model to arrive from Ontracks. I certainly don't have 'thrirty plus loaded coal wagons'. If you have a picture of that I could add it to the review.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 6 Sep 2008, 16:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi John, welcome to the forum. I am so envious that you have yours running already.

I have already started the review - at least the historical part with some nice old photos. Just waiting for my model to arrive from Ontracks. I certainly don't have 'thrirty plus loaded coal wagons'. If you have a picture of that I could add it to the review.

Doug I have no idea how to add a photo to this reply. I can send you one via email. Don't expect photographic miracles - depth of field at 30 plus wagons is beyond me!
John

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lovely looking model...I shall be down at Waltons in Altrincham tomorrow to get one.
Incidentally, it was a Super D that thrashed its motion to bits trying to get up the hill at Fenny Bentley on the old Buxton to Ashbourne line in Derbyshire, now sadly lifted.
Ed

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 8 Sep 2008, 12:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As Doug said - impressive. Always good to see a proper goods train on a layout.

Although not my thing it certainly looks to be a good representation of the beastie.

Regards

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can somebody please recommend a nice OO-scale ore wagon model for the early BR period (available now)? I have only a few, but I'd like to build up a little collection. That picture has inspired me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Went and bought my G2A this morning. A lovely model. I aready have one, a white metal kit made about 30 yrs ago which still runs OK. I'll put them together tomorrow and compare them.
It's nice to think that we are getting some pre-grouping stuff through at last..........now Mr Bachmann, how about an Aspinall 'Highflyer' ?
Ed

·
Registered
136 Posts
Picked mine up today, the NRM preserved version. Great, very impressive model.

Glad I preordered as my local retailer only received four, all preordered!

Bachmann have now sold out. Seems they did not make enough!

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 8 Sep 2008, 17:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can somebody please recommend a nice OO-scale ore wagon model for the early BR period (available now)..
This still in a PO livery, the BR grey repaint is not in stock with Hattons http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21280 Bear in mind that iron ore wagons were not nationalised at the start of the war and remained in private ownership until the formation of British Steel, well into the BR era - don't know the dates for this.
And then the MOT built numbers of 16T minerals during the war with thicker plating so that they were suitable for ore traffic in addition to their usual use for coal. This slope sided MOT branded mineral might represent that http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=6818 There have also been regular straight sided 16T MOT minerals available, might be worth looking for.
Then from 1951 BR started building a 27T tippler http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=16486

1 - 19 of 19 Posts