Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Photo: David Scott. Click here for larger image.

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced at its Annual Trade Open Day that it is to produce the new generation of environmentally friendly Class 66 locomotives into the Branchline OO range. These locomotives are now being introduced by British and European rail freight operators.

The sub class was built in order to comply with the latest low sulphur emissions introduced in recent times by the EEC (European Economic Community). Freightliner took delivery of two new Class 66/9 locomotives in during 2004 which were used initially on Channel Tunnel Rail Link construction trains as they were not then passed for operation on Network Rail owned tracks. They have since entered service with Freightliner Heavy Haul.

The new locomotives have smaller fuel tanks, and extra door on one side of the locomotive body and different grille layouts to the earlier locomotives.

GBRf took delivery of 5 locomotives (No's. 66718-66722) recently for use on the Metronet London Underground infrastructure contracts. These carry Metronet livery. A further 5 (No's. 66723-66727) are on order.

DRS have recently taken delivery of 3 locomotives (No's. 66411-66413 and have a further 7 locomotives (No's. 66414-66422) on order. One of these will carry Eddie Stobart livery following the recently awarded Tesco contract to provide rail haulage between Grangemouth, Carlisle and Daventry depots.

Freightliner have a further 16 locomotives on order for delivery during 2006/7.

The new Bachmann Blue Riband model will feature working lights and will be DCC compatible. The model will incorporate a new body shell with the option to switch off the rear lights when running.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 17 Jul 2006, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann Europe Plc today announced at its Annual Trade Open Day that it is to produce the new generation of environmentally friendly Class 66 locomotives into the Branchline OO range. These locomotives are now being introduced by British and European rail freight operators.

The sub class was built in order to comply with the latest low sulphur emissions introduced in recent times by the EEC (European Economic Community). Freightliner took delivery of two new Class 66/9 locomotives in during 2004 which were used initially on Channel Tunnel Rail Link construction trains as they were not then passed for operation on Network Rail owned tracks. They have since entered service with Freightliner Heavy Haul.

The new locomotives have smaller fuel tanks, and extra door on one side of the locomotive body and different grille layouts to the earlier locomotives.

GBRf took delivery of 5 locomotives (No's. 66718-66722) recently for use on the Metronet London Underground infrastructure contracts. These carry Metronet livery. A further 5 (No's. 66723-66727) are on order.

DRS have recently taken delivery of 3 locomotives (No's. 66411-66413 and have a further 7 locomotives (No's. 66414-66422) on order. One of these will carry Eddie Stobart livery following the recently awarded Tesco contract to provide rail haulage between Grangemouth, Carlisle and Daventry depots.

Freightliner have a further 16 locomotives on order for delivery during 2006/7.

The new Bachmann Blue Riband model will feature working lights and will be DCC compatible. The model will incorporate a new body shell with the option to switch off the rear lights when running.

Luvly! Now, I am sure that we'd all like to see a "CTRL construction trains" twin pack, with a 66/9 and a class 20. As to the (unannounced) Bachmann collectors' club loco, may I suggest a Metronet 66?

Interestingly, this month's Freight Industry Times has a section on GBRf, including a photo of GBRf's John Smith handing over a model 66 in Metronet livery to the Metronet chief exec. However, (horror of horrors!) the Bachy 66 has no low emissions door, and original style light clusters! I wonder what Rail Express would say ifthat was released to the public!

Still, at least I won't need that hacksaw!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
they will have to retool the body to include the extra door. i would be supprised if there wasnt provision for that in the tooling from the start. bachmann knew that it was going to be the biggest class of loco in the uk for at least the next 20 years so there would have been many inserts and all sorts of fancy extras with that mould. i bet it looks like a piece of swiss cheese with all the inserts taken out.

"I wonder what Rail Express would say ifthat was released to the public!"
I think the staff at RE might not actually survive the trauma!

actually looking at that picture, it looks like a bachmann model. is that a test shot? i do wish they would do something about the line across the front. it just looks like the whole shell is a bad fit.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts