Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive got a 1st generation bachmann 66 and for some unknown reason its very jerky and i was told by a friend thant they have a wire that is pinched or needs replacing can anyone shed some light on this problem thanks

david

·
In depth idiot
7,666 Posts
There's no way to give you a useful answer to that question that will directly fix the problem. First thing to note is that the basic design of the mechanism is satisfactory, it is probably only something relatively minor that is preventing it running smoothly and well. If both bogies swing freely through the full arc the chassis mechanically allows then a trapped wire between bogie and chassis causing the problem is unlikely.

First suspect is power supply to the motor. Does the motor run smoothly if you connect the power directly via flying leads to the motor terminals? If the motor runs smoothly like that, then check all the soldered joints in the circuit from pick ups to motor terminals, and for power continuity from each wheel with a pick up to the motor terminals. If the motor will not run smoothly when directly connected to the power supply, then you may have a faulty motor or a problem with the drive line from motor to wheels.

If it is a fault in the motor or chassis, then my recommendation would be return to retailer for service; simply on the grounds that if you knew how to dismantle and fix the mechanism you would not have needed to ask the question here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 26 Jul 2008, 09:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's no way to give you a useful answer to that question that will directly fix the problem. First thing to note is that the basic design of the mechanism is satisfactory, it is probably only something relatively minor that is preventing it running smoothly and well. If both bogies swing freely through the full arc the chassis mechanically allows then a trapped wire between bogie and chassis causing the problem is unlikely.

First suspect is power supply to the motor. Does the motor run smoothly if you connect the power directly via flying leads to the motor terminals? If the motor runs smoothly like that, then check all the soldered joints in the circuit from pick ups to motor terminals, and for power continuity from each wheel with a pick up to the motor terminals. If the motor will not run smoothly when directly connected to the power supply, then you may have a faulty motor or a problem with the drive line from motor to wheels.

If it is a fault in the motor or chassis, then my recommendation would be return to retailer for service; simply on the grounds that if y
[/indent]
ou knew how to dismantle and fix the mechanism you would not have needed to ask the question here.
i had the same problem with one early Bachmann 66 [ews]although two others[freightliner] ran perfectly.On dismantling the bogies I found that the pick-ups were oily,after cleaning the oil off,no more problems​

1 - 3 of 3 Posts