Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently recovered from a broken hip operation, now able to try out my new purchase of the Bachmann TurboStar rail set.
I note that in this model, powered coach is the centre one as to the customary front engine. It appears on my model, that it requires a greater voltage setting from standstill, as to other engine models. Reason could be the fact that the middle powered coach is required to pull the third coach in addition to pushing the first unpowered coach.
Does this higher voltage requirement normal to the make up of the TurboStar or is this a minor fault in this instance experienced to my model of the TurboStar.
The TurboStar on eventually starting up, reaches a high speed and quietly travels over the track circuit, though perhaps lacks the ability to better control of speeds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too have the same 3 car bachmann turbostar set, and mine exhibits the same characteristics you describe. It takes a lot more power to get it going. I thought it required a service and clean to freshen it up, but this hardly made a difference.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think the three low voltage LEDs wired to the power pickups attached to the coach bogy wheels. The front and rear coaches are independent to the powered coach supply to the housed electric motor.
The placement of the electric motor in the centre car, could be the fault. The motor in this case is required to push a car in addition to pulling an additional car.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 18 Aug 2006, 19:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would think the three low voltage LEDs wired to the power pickups attached to the coach bogy wheels. The front and rear coaches are independent to the powered coach supply to the housed electric motor.
The placement of the electric motor in the centre car, could be the fault. The motor in this case is required to push a car in addition to pulling an additional car.

I have several Roco ET420 units - these are 3-car units with the drive in the centre car, full interior lighting/front rear red/white, pick up on all 24 wheels & they all will move off (on DC & the same when converted to DCC) with barely any voltage, so I don't thinkl the placing of the drive is the reason.

best regards
Brian

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 19 Aug 2006, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have several Roco ET420 units - these are 3-car units with the drive in the centre car, full interior lighting/front rear red/white, pick up on all 24 wheels & they all will move off (on DC & the same when converted to DCC) with barely any voltage, so I don't thinkl the placing of the drive is the reason.

best regards
Brian
Similarly I have a Trix Ice 3 which has seven coaches with a centre power car. So this is pushing 3 cars as well as pulling 3. Not only that but it has digital sound, coach lighting and front and rear directional lighting. This is one of my fastest locos.
I think the motor must be crap in the Bachman.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 19 Aug 2006, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Similarly I have a Trix Ice 3 which has seven coaches with a centre power car. So this is pushing 3 cars as well as pulling 3. Not only that but it has digital sound, coach lighting and front and rear directional lighting. This is one of my fastest locos.
I think the motor must be crap in the Bachman.

Hi Neil - I wish (joking) you had'nt said that, makes we want to sell my Fleischmann set !

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I presume that the Fleischmann mentioned is a model 614 three coach set. I find this model to be well manufactured and of instant respone to the CPU settings. My only gripe is the loud whine sound generated at all speeds.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 20 Aug 2006, 13:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I presume that the Fleischmann mentioned is a model 614 three coach set. I find this model to be well manufactured and of instant respone to the CPU settings. My only gripe is the loud whine sound generated at all speeds.

Hi DoubleOO,

No - its the ICE set - I also have a couple of the 614's & they are excellent & very quiet. The loud whine sound could be the meshing of the armature pinion to the first gear wheel - try a bit of silicone grease on the gears to shut them up.

best regards
Brian

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 20 Aug 2006, 14:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Brian,
I would thoroughly recommend my ICE3. It is one of my best train sets. See my review for more information, but it really is fantastic.

I'll follow that up later Neil - thanks for the info'

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello dbclass50,

With regards to the class 614, information on reducing noise level is most appreciated. The closeness of the power bogy to the coach inards, is a bit auckward to carry out any servicing. I will certainly have a try to apply silicone grease to the gear mesh. Regards double00.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just moving back on topic for a moment The bachman mechanism is probably the cause of the higher voltage draw and i doubt you could do much to improve the matter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I had the same problems. it dosent make any difference that its the centre coach but take a good look at the chassis.
i am not sure if it has the same mech as the voyagers but if it does then try and make sure all the pickups are INSIDE the wheels and not bent round the flanges like mine were. then take off the bogie bottoms and check that the wheel sets are round the right way. the gear teeth are at a slight angle. i am tempted to say helical but thats not strictly true (i wont go there) some of mine were backwards and that ment they were a tad tight. if that hasnt solved the problem then take the bogies apart and clean out all that crap that bachmann put into them to lubrecate them. its PTFE grease and it works great but they always put too much in and it actually increases stiction slightly because of the binder that is ised in the grease.

I will try and explain with some more pictures tomorrow.

P.S. the motor in my voyager was also back to front but i dont want to get onto bachmann bashing.

Peter

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Pedromorgan, details you have given is most informative and in my case appreciated.
Inspecting the bogy wheels on the turbostar powered coach, shows the plastic gear fitted on the axle and position of gear is off centre. Placing bogy with coupling to the left side - what is correct position of gear? North or South?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Sorry withought being there i really cant help you with the north/south question withought actually being there. (if you are comming anywhere near london soon you are more than welcome to stop buy and i will take a look.)

I took some step buy step pictures of a repair that i did on my warship but i think i will put them in their own thread.

I will try and take some pics of the yoyager tonight and hopefully that will answer your question.

Peter

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Pedromorgan,
I will try again with my description - removing bogy from chassis, then removing clipped retaining plastic strip securing axle to bogy casing - exposed now are axle/white plastic gear - gear is positioned off centre on axle - which way should the gear be positioned, at top or bottom of the worm gear, attached to the motorised spindle?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts