Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to locate a Bachmann V3 in BR (LNER) Green livery with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tanks rather than the LNER version. Number was 67684. Attempts on ebay so far have resulted in me being pipped at the post twice literally seconds before 'time up'.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 23 Jun 2008, 18:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm trying to locate a Bachmann V3 in BR (LNER) Green livery with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tanks rather than the LNER version. Number was 67684. Attempts on ebay so far have resulted in me being pipped at the post twice literally seconds before 'time up'.
Any ideas?

If you are a regular Ebay user there are a number of programmes that you can use to 'snipe' a bid, if you aren't aware of them, what they do is you decide what you are prepared to pay for an item, then put it into the 'snipe' programme and the programme does the rest, if you have put a sensible amount on it and the other bidders have already bid then it is possible to get the item literally seconds before the end at or below your preset amount. Mind you it dosen't always work, other people are using similar programmes so it becomes the 'battle of the computers' towards the end of an auction. Having said that, if you do the research on Ebay, then you know pretty much how much you will need to pay based on previous auctions, if you don't want to pay exhorbitant prices just hold back - it doesn't cost anything to bid - and wait until another comes along. There are always people out there that see what a particulatr item goes for and decide to put theirs on too, but the fact of the matter is that the best price is usually the first price realised and any subsequent auctions will realise about the same or slightly less, as more people list their items. In 'real' auctions when I was involved in disposals of assets for Major clients in the Resource sector here, if an item sold for X then the auctioneer would offer the similar or same item to the room at the same price as he had just sold the item, very fair as you didn't have to go through the whole bidding process again.

My advice;- decide what price you want to pay, stick to it and use a sniping programme, they are quite legal on Ebay and can net you some wonderful bargains!

(try Googling "Snipe Programmes")

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'll second that

I use auctionsniper

sometimes you can get things very cheap that way
a bid is put on in the last seconds (you can adjust the time yourself)

I can send you a link and you will get 3 free snipes
after that you must pay a small fee for anything that you win
having said that I just tried to log on to there site but it timed out

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

regards Zmil

·
Registered
82 Posts
I own this model loco. It only has the number on one side and I am not sure whether this is a quality control issue or the real thing has it. The model shop wanted it back straight away but I decided to keep it. I don't think I will sell it althuogh it may be worth more as a quality escapee.
With all these locos when I look on ebay I set up a favourite search which notifies me when one comes up. Sometimes there is long wait. I am afraid last minute is the norm but I have also bought items cheaper by being prepared to wait.
Graham

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up the required loco on Ebay, however my example has the number on both sides. It was a lucky find as the loco valve gear was slightly damaged but replacement parts for that are on order so all in all I got a good deal. There was of course only one Apple Green V3 ever and that was 7684 later 67684 based at Gateshead - I now have models if it in both states.

My layout now has V1s and V3s growing out of the ballast! I also run Gresley N2, Fowler, Fairburn and Stanier 2-6-4 tanks on my local trains and have even produced a 'limosine cab' Fowler version.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How accurate are the Bachmann Models?

both 7684 and 67684 have GATESHEAD on the front buffer beam. Now this is not correct as when in green livery it was allocated to Middlesborough shed - it didn't get to Gateshead until 1963! Between whiles it moved between Hull Botanic Gardens and Middlesbrough.

I also have 67669 which has a Westinghouse pump and is in BR lined black livery. Now again this loco moved to Dunfermline in 1948 and stayed in Scotland until withdrawn from St. Margarets in 1961. It certainly didn't have the pump in any photos i've seen of it in BR Livery.

We can all bow to modeller's licence but it would seem that sometimes the manufacturer's historical research is not always as thorough as it should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts