Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Today after finally managing to recieve my DC controler for my Bachmann 4 car Voyager train, i was not impressed when I saw its top speed in comparison to the Hornby Pendolino. Do I have a faulty model, or is the Voyager not as fast as Pendolino? It just doesnt look right in the terms of top speed.

Can anybody please enlighten me, otherwise it means a trip into Nottingham to get a replacement motor car.

Many thanks.

Model: (Bachmann 4 Car Class 220 Voyager "Dorset Voyager")

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Breaston @ 22 Dec 2007, 21:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,
Today after finally managing to recieve my DC controler for my Bachmann 4 car Voyager train, i was not impressed when I saw its top speed in comparison to the Hornby Pendolino. Do I have a faulty model, or is the Voyager not as fast as Pendolino? It just doesnt look right in the terms of top speed.

Can anybody please enlighten me, otherwise it means a trip into Nottingham to get a replacement motor car.

Many thanks.

Model: (Bachmann 4 Car Class 220 Voyager "Dorset Voyager")
I also have the dorset voyager by bachmann, running on dcc.

No pendolino to compare it with, but im well pleased with its performance, and the express lighting kit i have fitted makes it even more stunning.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I managed to install decoder to power coach and it doesnt seem that fast. I will upload a video to youtube of its top speed. I will just demo the 2 centre coaches as the 2 light cars are not dcc.

I had a go at fitting express models lighting kit but I then put it back to how it was as my hands are too shakey and I dare not do cutting, gluing so might throw the kit in the bin as it would be no use to me unless I can find somebody who can fit it. The train inc decoders and lighting kit as it stands is £165, and at that cost, I dont want to break it as I cannot afford to buy a new set if anything goes wrong.

Cheers

·
Registered
763 Posts
Presumably any speed difference is down to the motor used by the respective manufacturers? The Bachmann motor being centre mounted and driving both axles isn't a speed demon in anything they put it in, lord knows what hornby put in their pendolino but there were rumours about it not exactly being on a par with their super detail diesel loco's. Anyway surely the real thing is quicker than a voyager? Just one other thought have you run the Bachmann one in properly? If you're going to be screwing the nuts off them both I'd be prepared for tears when one or both decide to leave the track at full tilt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think its just the motot Bachmann used like you said, as I ran it in 1/2 hr each way and it seems ok, though the roof did get a little warm. When my layout is properley built I dont think I will be running them super fast anyway. Think its just me being used to seeing super fast Hornby models.
I am satasfied with the speed now, just hoping to find somewhere who will install the lighting kit for me.
thanks for the info.

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
Bachmann usually gear their models so that maximum speed scales to something representative of the prototype's maximum speed.

Hornby have been known to gear for a scale 350mph.

Try timing it, a good rule of thumb is that a yard or metre every 2 seconds in 4mm/ft is in the 70 - 75mph range on the real thing. Few of us have layouts where that can realistically be demonstrated...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts