Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me what decoders I require for my bachmann Voyager 4 car train please?

Somebody I know said I need 3 in total, 1 for the motor coach, and 2 "accessory" decoders for the lights either end of the train, but he said dont take his word for it as he has not got a voyager.

I picked one up today for a xmas pressie for my self (was given some money to buy something of my choise) so want to make work on DCC.

Also there is a lighting kit avail from Express models or something like that in Leicestershire. If I bought one of these kits for my voyager train, would I convert it before DCC instalation or after I have fitted them?

Many thanks & look forward to hearing your comments.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Express Models do a kit that converts the 2 end cars to DCC and sets up the lights as well. The kit comes with 2 function only decoders.

Cost around £50 though so not cheap.

I have a kit but haven't got round to fitting it yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Bilbo (my sister calls me Bilbo-makes me wonder why).
Think i can get accessory decoders seperately. I am not keen to run Lenz stuff on my system as I've heard they dont always work properley with Hornby Select systens so will use Bachmann decoders, will sort that out later.
The kit for light is £23 quid, not bad really - unless I find Bachmann decoders are more expensive - might have to buy Lenz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Virgin Voyager fitted with a Express models lighting kit, and lenz decoders.
Bought them as a complete package from Express models.
I did the installationall in one go, far easier than opening up twice.
Took about two hours, most of that spent on fitting the lights, and trimming the light guides.
Not techinaly difficult, but very akward modifying the tiny light guides etc;
Well worth it though, the lights are super bright, just like the real thing.
All it needs now is sound.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umm, thanks for the info loco, Will any decoder e.g. Bachmann support this, e.g. if I just bought the light set and bought the decoders elsewhere, and did it all in 1 go like you will there be any difference in how to do it?
Sorry about all the questions I have never done anything like this before.
Many thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Breaston @ 10 Dec 2007, 21:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Umm, thanks for the info loco, Will any decoder e.g. Bachmann support this, e.g. if I just bought the light set and bought the decoders elsewhere, and did it all in 1 go like you will there be any difference in how to do it?
Sorry about all the questions I have never done anything like this before.
Many thanks
At the end of the day the choice of decoders is down to you.
Most people you ask have their own favourites, me included.

Basically if you want to be able to control the lights indvidually, you will need a decoder with adequate functions, namely a four function for each front and rear car.
The centre drive car decoder simply drives the motor., and needs no extra functions .

Bachmann decoders are cheap and will work, i have used them in similar situations on the 170 Turbostars.

Incidentally the instructions from Express models, are very good, my electrical knowledge is very basic, and ive managed it ok.
Like most tasks, first time is the worst, it does get easier.
I was dreading hardwiring decoders at first, one soon gets the hang.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (loco @ 11 Dec 2007, 19:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the end of the day the choice of decoders is down to you.
Most people you ask have their own favourites, me included.

Basically if you want to be able to control the lights indvidually, you will need a decoder with adequate functions, namely a four function for each front and rear car.
The centre drive car decoder simply drives the motor., and needs no extra functions .

Bachmann decoders are cheap and will work, i have used them in similar situations on the 170 Turbostars.

Incidentally the instructions from Express models, are very good, my electrical knowledge is very basic, and ive managed it ok.
Like most tasks, first time is the worst, it does get easier.
I was dreading hardwiring decoders at first, one soon gets the hang.

Thanks for that Loco, have been in touch with Express models and their putting one by for me as they dont have many in stock just now.
If I have a Good Drawing, a set of instructions it should not be a problem.

Now, Can somebody please tell me which Decoder is better, the Bachmann doesnt have Back Emf, the hornby one does. Are these compatable in the end driving cars, as they are locomotive decoders not function decoders.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=10803

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=17575

Or can anybody suggest a compatable decoder? having read that Bachmann decoders are made by Lenz, will lenz be the same as Bachmanns just with a different box?

Many thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Breaston @ 11 Dec 2007, 20:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that Loco, have been in touch with Express models and their putting one by for me as they dont have many in stock just now.
If I have a Good Drawing, a set of instructions it should not be a problem.

Now, Can somebody please tell me which Decoder is better, the Bachmann doesnt have Back Emf, the hornby one does. Are these compatable in the end driving cars, as they are locomotive decoders not function decoders.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=10803

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=17575

Or can anybody suggest a compatable decoder? having read that Bachmann decoders are made by Lenz, will lenz be the same as Bachmanns just with a different box?

Many thanks
Loco decoders will work fine in the end cars. Often cheaper than function only.
I would check on compatability of Hornby decoders with your DCC system, they are the only ones ive had problems with.

Personally, if your trying to keep the cost down, have a go with Bachmann, as you say they are older Lenz models, which is a bonus.

By the way, mind you dont loose the light guides when you cut them, this will all make sense when you read the instructions. I spent 30mins on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass and torch, looking for one that flew across the room.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help Loco. I have ordered a lighting Kit from Express Models and hopfully that will come soon. All I need then are Decoders and a DC Controler so I can test the train before I convert as I ran it on DCC system and it went very slow at top speed so a little concerned as regards to the speed before dcc convertion.
Right now I have put it on some track on a shelf and placed the train up there ready for convertion.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts