Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a short on a Bachmann 2/8/0 WD. and need to take the body off. has any one any ideas?

Thanks

BOB

·
Registered
11 Posts
The instructions I used to get into a WD are as follows -

Bachmann WD Access
To assist with gaining access to the interior of the WD 2-8-0 locos, as well as removing the screw above the front bogie and the one under the cab, you also need to remove the centre screw in the keeper plate moulding. Then, after unclipping the handrails, the chassis can be carefully levered out.

I've followed the instructions twice, initially to put in a TCS decoder, then to replace it with a Loksound one.

Best of luck

Tony T

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
To supplement what Tony has posted, the tender drawbar has to come out when the under cab screw is removed; and if you look at the footplates both sides above the second driven axle, you will see the top of the reverser linkage which is actually part of the chassis, protruding through a slot in the footplate. On the first disassembly these usually have to be gently helped through by pushing down gently on them as the body is lifted from the chassis. (The usual 'three hands would be useful' situation.)

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
You also need to be aware of a pickup problem with the Bachmann WD. The bronze pickup strips can short against the chassis frame. To stop this cut two strips of black insulating tape and fix over the pickup strips on the keeper and this will cure the fault.

I have a soft spot for the WDs and have most of the varieties produced by Bachmann. Three so far have developed the fault above. View attachment 1023

1 - 4 of 4 Posts