Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i notice on the bachmann site that they wish it to be known that they have no relationship with either "yesterdays trains or ray mansfield model railways" any one got any ideas why they would make this statment i was considering purchasing something from ray mansfield but now im thinking there maybe something wrong thanx

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Dapol have done this in the past aswell.

It normally means that the dealer is obtaining stock through third party suppliers and not directly from Bachmann or Dapol.

Bachmann do not supply wholesalers. Hornby do. Don't know about Dapol although there is no evidence that they supply wholesalers.

The Hornby warranty is product related and is not dependent on the seller being an authorised stockist. You can deal directly with Hornby over warranty issues or through your Hornby stockist whichever is easier for you.

Bachmann and Dapol warranties are stockist related and you have to deal through an authorised stockist with Bachmann and Dapol warranty issues. Bachmann and Dapol will not accept returns from stockists who are not authorised.

You are entirely in the hands of the stockist if they are not authorised and something goes wrong.

Its a fair warning on the part of Bachmann and Dapol however they could make their reasons clearer.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Without wishing to encourage a cat fight, I'd be intrigued to hear what members of this forum think about the warranty service provided by the various manufacturers and/or retailers. Are you satisfied? Is the service fast enough? When charges have to be made, are they reasonable? Do European manufacturers offer a better or worse service than UK producers? Do web traders match high street retailers?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
My only warranty experience is with Hornby and I dealt directly with Hornby Customer Service who asked me to return the item to them directly. My shipping cost to Hornby was refunded by postal order about 1 week after the goods were returned in working order which was about 1 week after they were sent. This was an item purchased through a high street retailer. I am very comfortable with the Hornby warranty experiance.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think the issue here is that if Bachman cannot guarantee the authenticity of the goods i.e. are they grey imports or via a chinese ebay seller etc. then why should they gaurantee the goods that would be bad for their existing dealer network and bad for their reputation.

that's not to say that there is anything wrong with the stock sold by these two traders but as the saying goes "caveat emptor"

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
In a way its an example of a Bachmann internet PR disaster as these two stockists are now getting more attention as a result of the publicity given then they would ever have got without Bachmann's help!

And the info has been placed on the Bachmann homepage which gets say 100,000 hits a month!

I have noted that since the message went up a lot of the Bachmann models that this pair have for sale are now sold out!

These two stockists are laughing all the way to the bank. You would probably pay £££'s for that sort of home page promotion.

Can Model Rail Forum have a slot just below the message please!

Genuine Bachmann stockists must be absolutely livid!

Bachmann and others have a long way to go before they understand how to master internet PR.

There are things that you do and there are things that you don't do!

And this is definitely not one for the Bachmann home page!

There is an old PR adage "any publicity is good publicity!"

Even if its is on Bachmann's favourite website!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Maybe they should have highlighted the dealers they approve off instead.

Spot on!

All Bachmann need to do is remind visitors that there is a list of approved dealers on the website (with a link to that page) and that they should treat any outlet purporting to sell "new" Bachmann products and not on the list with caution.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
IMO Hornby are fully aware of the potential of the web but many other manufacturers have failed to grasp the significance of the medium as a tool. We live in an information age and it is no longer acceptable just to have a list of your wares and prices and a "buy now" button!

That being said, Hornby could still improve their own web management and tweak some of the pages.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, it's another error of judgement by Bachmann.

Whatever Bachmann may say about their own warranty the purchaser still has his/her legal rights which Bachmann cannot take away.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I was browsing through a major "Good Internet Site" book the other day and there was a model railway hobby section. This lists sites that in the publishers consideration are worthy of inclusion.

There were about 10 entries in the model railway hobby section and only one retailer got a mention.

That retailer was Ontracks. They said that with 35000 products Ontracks had something for any visitor.

The publisher made a comment that the site was a bit awkward to navigate.

Ontracks have listened and have recently launched a brand new website.

And they hold regular events at their premises.

Now how many business awards have Ontracks won?

You don't get those by failing to listen!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re the Hornby website - following a number of criticisms posted in the last couple of months Hornby have replied to all saying that they are working on improvements to the site, including their chat forum, to be introduced 'later this year'. It will be interesting to see just how much better these are.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I dont really see why hornby need a chat forum? arnt there enough of those already and having it connected with a manufacturerr will make it fundementally bias.

Gary that was an interesting plug for ontracks. do you have any connection with them?

Don lets not get onto bachmann bashing. you are quite right about the purchaser having statutory rights but if you are buying from an unauthorised dealer then how do you know that the goods are not second hand? and as one person pointed out reject parts are sold on the black market in china (yes even in the model railway industry. i have seen locos that had obviously been rejected by a major manufacturer in a shop in beijing.)

Peter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Peter

Not Bachmann bashing at all. Just pointing out there are statutory rights irrespective of where the item is purchased, even if it has been acquired as a "reject" - which is why other manufacturers nowadays do not permit rejects to leave the factory. "Seconds" still have to be fit for purpose; the faults must be only cosmetic or peripheral.

All too often manufacturers supply a warranty that is more restrictive than statutory rights, which is why they are obliged to make a reference to them in the warranty wording. IMO Bachmann should make the same reference in their notice regarding the two suppliers. That's all.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"Just pointing out there are statutory rights irrespective of where the item is purchased, even if it has been acquired as a "reject" - which is why other manufacturers nowadays do not permit rejects to leave the factory. "Seconds" still have to be fit for purpose; the faults must be only cosmetic or peripheral. "

only in the uk. if its purchased in a foreign country you are only covered by their rights. and in the case of china you have no rights at all. evrything is sold as seen.

peter

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The notices were no longer there when I visited the site today - September 29th.

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts