Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After much research into this Loco and the variations in Germany/Austria/Australia, I get to thinking why is this not being used to it's full potential in the UK? There were some trials in Wales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_MPV

I'm thinking about replacing the couplings to Kadee's and fitting a decoder in the dummy unit (for the lights) so I can use the loco as a CargoSprinter, with a couple of inter-modals (or what ever else I like) in-between. As the real un-powered version is basically a DVT.

A re-paint could be required.

OK, maybe not prototypical, but It's my layout! Some pictures of what I'm thinking of:

What do you all think of the idea?

Cheers, Chris.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I like it, but the concept was originally tried in Germany where it was not the success they hoped it would.

If we still had a rail infrastructure that was not biased towards unit freight then I'm sure it would be a winner.

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I have been hacking & filing a Kadee to fit. I'm very pleased with the results.

I do like the idea of Inter-modal, for small consists, but this looks like a good modelling prospect, I just need a few of the new Hornby OTA's.

DR 98919 + DR 98916 slogging the final few hundred yards up Talerddig bank with seven fully-loaded OTAs on the 6Z21 Aberystwyth-Chirk timber train.

**Copyright for the image - Richard W. Jones**

Here is a video of my MPV in action.

Sorry for the poor quality of the clip, I only have a mobile phone that will record in HD, tricky things to use!

Cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Trouble is, due to having a higher floor in order to fit the engines under, any standard container was out of gauge so you could not put a load on them. May as well have had a class 20 on each end!

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Titan @ 20 Oct 2011, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trouble is, due to having a higher floor in order to fit the engines under, any standard container was out of gauge so you could not put a load on them. May as well have had a class 20 on each end!

Thanks Titan for pointing this out
, is that a height issue only with high-cube then?

I don't know the implications for any prototypical usages of ISO containers, but this is the specification: Clearance gauge: EBO - G 2.

I'd just like to try to create something that could be used on my layout, as Windhoff has successfully manufactured & DB is using:

That looks like very successful usage of an MPV/CargoSprinter for container transport, and not a Class 20 insight! Also I don't really want to use a Class 20, as this is a project for a CargoSprinter/MPV conversion.

Cheers, Chris.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Titan @ 20 Oct 2011, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trouble is, due to having a higher floor in order to fit the engines under, any standard container was out of gauge so you could not put a load on them. May as well have had a class 20 on each end!

You have to remember that these units were designed for use in Europe, where they have a decent loading gauge.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Comparing the pictures below of the DB and NR variants below:

**Copyright for the image - Richard W. Jones**

and taking into account Brian's comment below,

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 21 Oct 2011, 06:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have to remember that these units were designed for use in Europe, where they have a decent loading gauge.
It can be seen that there are a large number of differences in the cabs. Now I don't know if the NR, and Balfour for that matter, versions are a new build to the UK loading gauge or merely modified ex DB examples, but it appears that the NR cab is much smaller. It certainly hasn't got the roof "spoiler".

Having said that I believe that the examples used on HS1 for maintenance are ex DB.

Regards

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As this is only fictional, and not prototypical, I'm not too worried about this issue.

However after some more research I have found that in the model world I can use the MPV with containers.

The second image shows my fictional location, which is a freight only line to Swinden Quarry, Class 66 is the main loco that uses the route.

On my layout, using a scale ruler, a Bachmann Class 66 measures 3900mm above the rail, and the MPV with a standard height container measures 3850mm.

Cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Its the height at the corners of the container thats the problem, the overall height could easily be less than the class 66, but it will still foul the corners on arch bridges and tunnels.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Yep, the clear visual clue that is not a simple issue of height thats the issue is in the larger angled section at the roof in the UK version so it clears the loading gauge... repeated in the edge cutaways on the wagons...

No need to stress about it for the model concept though... just use a little poetic license on any tunnel portals.

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember when the MPV first came to the UK that Exel Logisitics (now CEVA) were using them for transporting of containers. There was a case study on there website referring to it but since re-branding as CEVA it has disappeared, although nothing truly disappears from the web so will be there somewhere!

To get round the height issue the containers on the MPV's were cut down ISO boxes with tarpaulin top's. These could be used for bulk products or heavier items. Inbetween were standard wagons, of which I am not sure what they were now, KFA's etc! As the study was for drinks with pallets seldom reaching over 1.8m in height long term solution may have been a dedicated low height box perhaps.

Also IIRC they were trialled using boxes similar to the old Ocado ones where they were loaded across the vehicle as on the old style trailers they operated.

If I ever find the pics I'll post the link. Always thought this would have been a good little project to model. A container railhead in the space of a few feet, excellent. daly though the trials were not succesful it would appear.

Steven

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.