1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm back from my cruise and now time to bore you with the holiday snaps:

Friday 25/07/08:
Spent the morning down at Hythe, near Southampton and rode the famous 2ft gauge Hythe Pier Railway:

More photos of this line will follow in a separate topic.
Boarded Grand Princess and set sail at 17:00, What comes out of Cowes backwards?

The Isle of Wight Ferry!

Saturday 26/07/08: In Guernsey, no railways, so no photos!
Sunday 27/07/08: In Cobh and Cork, Ireland:

Irish Rail DMU leaving Cobh for Cork on the Grand Princess special timetable.

Irish Rail Mk 4 DVT 4002 and GM loco 214 at Cork.

Great Southern & Western Railway 2-2-2 No.36 preserved at Cork.

Monday 28/07/08: In Dublin, Ireland:

Guinness Planet Diesel Loco preserved at the Guinness Storehouse.

Guinness Geoghegan Steam Loco preserved at the Guinness Storehouse.

Tuesday 29/07/08: In Liverpool, no railway pics but did a Mersey Ferry cruise lasting an hour Liverpool-NewBrighton-Wallasey-Birkenhead-Liverpool.

Royal Iris of the Mersey

Our ship - Grand Princess.

Wednesday 30/07/08: In Belfast, again no railway pics but did a fantastic sightseeing tour in an ex LT Routemaster bus. We even saw the Shankhill and Falls Districts - No go areas when I was there 25 years ago.

Thursday 31/07/08: In Greenock, Scotland's second ugliest town! So I went to Glasgow:

The old Glasgow Subway that I remember so well recreated at the Museum of Transport.

The modernised Glasgow Subway whose reconstruction I worked upon - train leaving Kelvinhall.

And at St. Enoch.

My late fathers ship SS Leicesterbrook of which he was its Chief Engineer and I spent my school holidays on board until 1964.

Friday 01/08/08: At Sea
Saturday 02/08/08: Invergordon

Admiralty Pier, Invergordon - still with embedded rail tracks!

Sunday 03/08/08: South Queensferry:

Forth Bridge from Grand Princess

Unidentified First Scotrail class 170 crossing Forth Bridge.

Monday 04/08/08: At Sea
Tuesday 05/08/08: Le Havre:

Le Havre Dry Dock being towed out for delivery to its new owners in Bahamas. Mid-way along can be seen two 'locomotives' (one each side) for pulling ships - A modelling idea?
Wednesday 06/08/08: 05:00 arrival in Southampton.

Dave

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 8 Aug 2008, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thursday 31/07/08: In Greenock, Scotland's second ugliest town! So I went to Glasgow:

Dave

So what is Scotland's ugliest town? Alloa, Shotts, Fauldhouse? Nominations, please!

Great pics, Dave, thanks. Looks like a great holiday.

mal

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Admiralty Pier, Invergordon!

My first ship berthed there way back in.....1968 or 9.....discharged oil product through rubber pipelines laid out along the pier itself [rather than into purpose-built pipelines...].........MV British Hero.....

For those who have modelled quayside/dockside scenes...especially if on the compact/bijou/small side........whilst the likes of the old 'Hero'...to scale, might prove a problem, certainly a small coastal tanker could be modelled?

Lots of pipes and small hatches.....and no particular need for purpose-built oil manifolds on the quayside...simply some large-diameter rubber pipeing disappearing off somewhere????

Oil products delivered could include heating oil, etc...rather than gasoline or derv?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 9 Aug 2008, 09:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So what is Scotland's ugliest town? Alloa, Shotts, Fauldhouse? Nominations, please!

Great pics, Dave, thanks. Looks like a great holiday.

mal

Cumbernauld?

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And a few more:

Hythe Pier Railway - Train at Pier Head.

Irish Rail - 224 in IE Intercity livery just arrived at Cork with a rake of CAF built stock from Dublin.

The old Glasgow Subway - Car 1 built in 1896 as a Gripper Car, converted in 1935 to electric traction, withdrawn in 1977 at the Museum of Transport in its as-withdrawn condition.

The current Glasgow Subway - 3-car train at Kelvinhall.

The stern of Grand Princess - at the top is the Skywalkers Nightclub 17 decks up!!!!

Looking along Grand Princess from the Skywalkers Nightclub.

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Some nice piccies there Dave, I particularly liked the one of the 2-2-2 - lovely.

Just out of interest how long did it take to familiarise yourself with the ship?

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 12 Aug 2008, 15:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some nice piccies there Dave, I particularly liked the one of the 2-2-2 - lovely.

Just out of interest how long did it take to familiarise yourself with the ship?

Regards

Not very long - a matter of minutes!!! Especially as I sailed on her sister Golden Princess 6 years ago and sailed Grand Princess last year as well as just now - No cruises next year as Mrs Piermaster and I are visiting family in Philippines and Singapore between 26 December and 19 January.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.