Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive decided to build a british layout again as ive been modelling american for 5 years and wanted a change. Its going to be based on the forest of dean as if some coal branches lasted into the late 70s (though there will be some 60s stock to give the panniers some work). Called 'Wyeford', the plan is to have a disused station (something you rarely see modelled?) with a grass covered platform showing signs of decay that trains have to run through to reach the colliery sidings. Its only an 8'x2' end to end layout but the announcements of class 14 and 22 hydraulics in rtr was too much to resist!

paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
sounds good would like to see it when its finished!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds great. I particularly like the idea of the disused station. I plan to incorporate a section of disused line in my layout (actually as a result of a planning mistake!!
), with sleeper imprints in the ballast the only sign of "life". But I hadn't considered a station. It will be very interesting to see how you progress. Like you I'm excited about the new hydraulics - something I have no memory of but which fascinate me.

Cheers
Sulzerjev

QUOTE (whoppit @ 20 Jun 2008, 01:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well ive decided to build a british layout again as ive been modelling american for 5 years and wanted a change. Its going to be based on the forest of dean as if some coal branches lasted into the late 70s (though there will be some 60s stock to give the panniers some work). Called 'Wyeford', the plan is to have a disused station (something you rarely see modelled?) with a grass covered platform showing signs of decay that trains have to run through to reach the colliery sidings. Its only an 8'x2' end to end layout but the announcements of class 14 and 22 hydraulics in rtr was too much to resist!

paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well day off work today (trains arent fun on summer saturdays) so ive made a start. Its a challenge making things to look unused and distressed instead of the pristine you so often see modelled. Ive started by knocking windows out of a skaledale east stone waiting room (dont groan about skaledale, im customising it so it looks unique!) Have added faded poster boards, repainted the doors in a faded wood brown and made a platform nameboard using the coopercraft kit and langley gwr nameboard posts. When sticking the letters on the nameboard i soaked the whole piece of plastic in plasweld so it bubbled and cracked and now its painted it looks just like old wood with splitting paintwork. Tommorow im gonna try the static grass on a scrap piece of platform as i dont want to see shiny scattergrip underneath when its dry. Will try and post some pics later this week

paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 21 Jun 2008, 21:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good Whoppit but I think the local hooligans would have had those nice shiny red fire buckets away by now.

Cheers,

Expat

yea, ive got to weather those buckets, dont think theres any hooligans that deep in the forest!

paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts