Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding with more than a few of my Brawa stock that once I place the couplings on the loco/carriage, that the item will no longer fit in the box. In particular the hospital train and my E95 amoungst others. You'd think they would have thought of that beforehand!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
On some of my continental models (Lilliput?) it says that the box must be cut to accommodate the couplers. If it is a plastic frame, then cut out an area where the coupler goes - it shouldn't affect the integrity of the box as long as you cut carefully and not all the way across the frame. The polystyrene boxes can be trimmed with a model knife.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 16 Dec 2008, 08:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simon you should regard yourself lucky, Dougs solution is the best way to sort that out.
What if your box was a Roco one? A total nightmare.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...ic=2546&hl=

Baykal

Mine are all polystyrene , as yet I've not had a problem with the Roco models I own. I guess you'd need a hot knife or something to cut a cube out otherwise.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 16 Dec 2008, 07:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On some of my continental models (Lilliput?) it says that the box must be cut to accommodate the couplers. If it is a plastic frame, then cut out an area where the coupler goes - it shouldn't affect the integrity of the box as long as you cut carefully and not all the way across the frame. The polystyrene boxes can be trimmed with a model knife.

I've considered that but I'd in effect damage my box. You'd think they would have moulded a recess into the box when they made it in the first place!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 16 Dec 2008, 18:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simon you should regard yourself lucky, Dougs solution is the best way to sort that out.
What if your box was a Roco one? A total nightmare.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...ic=2546&hl=

Baykal
Yes the Roco boxes are a nightmare. I have never attempted to put a Roco model back in it's box, and probably never will.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Excuse my stupidity, please.

Why not gently remove the couplings before putting the model in the box? Simpler and less damaging to both box and model.

Tim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (72C @ 16 Dec 2008, 22:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excuse my stupidity, please.

Why not gently remove the couplings before putting the model in the box? Simpler and less damaging to both box and model.

Tim

Its a lot of messing about and getting a coupler out of a NEM socket can be a fiddly business. I'll probably end up doing that rather than trashing the box though. For now I'll just leave the models on display.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Get hold of a carry case with felt lined draws. It's much easier than constantly unpacking / repacking models. Especially if you've added the detail parts.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Roco were the worst for ading detail bits to stock.

The two "new" roco wagons I purchased this year (1929 plan coach and baggage car) didin't need anything added to them. Simply senational.

Still need to add the bits to my roco Wurttemberg outline express coaches.

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I've always thought it a pain to have to modify boxes to get stock in & out of them easily, so my models tend to only go back in the box when selling stock on.

When you are paying £200 + for a locomotive it should come with a box suitable for transit without having to remove parts from the model or modifying the box.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Having recently bought a Bachmann 24 I would like to point out that although supplied without couplins fitted, when fitted it still fits nicely in it's box.

Doesn't seem to difficult does it?

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 18 Dec 2008, 01:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i dont mind the roco box i have but the ones that do annoy me are the clear plastic wrap around types. they eventually break in one of the corners and they are a right pig to use.

peter

They certainly do, but can be "repaired" with some "Magic Tape". Having said that they do make it easy to get the model out & back again easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts