Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my layout im going to run a lot of freight and open wagons etc i have a question about giving the open wagons a more realistic look i want to put ballast in them but do i fill them up with things like the track ballast you can buy and the add a mixture of PVA glue to hold it in or would weight play a part when the deisel loco is pulling the loads i get the feeling the answer will be yes but wanted to ask the question.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Put a card or polystyrene base in the wagons before topping the card off with the ballast or wagon load. This makes the ballast go further and does not increase the wagon weight to levels that would make locomotives struggle with haulage.

Better still make up the wagon loads on polystyrene or card in a mock up form of the wagon shape and ease it out of the form when the glue has set. You then create a wagon load that can be placed in any like wagon and removed as required.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Gary im moving house soon and where im moving to there is a shed and i can myself spending time in there on this job.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You shouldn't need to worry about too much weight, the average wagon runs best if it is 40-60grams in weight, this works out to about the correct scale weight for 10-16 Ton wagons when loaded.
I've recently taken to using 1.5mm steel plate for the floor in kit built wagons, this certainly gives the model a good feel to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the end i did use polystyrene in the wagon coated with pva the a sprinkle of coal dust and bingo there it was a loaded coal wagon.
Next on the list is to do the same using gravel/stone for my 'RMC' wagons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts