Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ground around track in goods yards and shed areas is usually at least level with the sleepers, if not higher, and almost looks like compacted earth. It certainly does not have the appearance of the typical ballast type materials used for main line sections.

I model in OO and the track is on a thin layer of cork (just wider than the sleepers) over ply.

What methods and materials have forum members used to model these areas?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I've used a selection of plasticard,sawdust,sand,cardboard,scatter,concrete decking and different grades of ballast. Surely it depends on what type of yard you have chosen,my approach to my yard was that the prototype yards were built and altered over a number of years so would be a bit of everything"but that depends again on how "pretty" and tidy you want it to look.
P S I layed a piece of scrap track and experimented to find the desired effect.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ash ballast!

look at some old photos?

C&L flog some good looking ash ballast.....

certainly doesn't want to be any sort of lumpy stuff....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just bought some of the Carr's ash ballast from C&L - it's definitely looks the right thing for yards and loco sheds. Not yet laid it though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is a tub of exactly the stuff you are looking for, have used it before on the steam shed.
The name, err, yes the name?

Tub is white in colour and on the top it usually has a sample of the set "paint" showing colour and effect. comes in variuos colours /effects.
The conternts are like a thick paint with a bit of a gritty feel to it. The tub is about 3 inches high.

Bu g ger this will annoy me until i remeber the name of the stuff.

I have baught it off a scenic supllier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts