Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking at my ballast tubs here and have mainly medium sizes of WS stuff grey/brown/buff i bought these for N scale but want to know what sizes of ballast you use for HO ....... as i have tried a section beside the repair shop and it looks a bit small between the sleepers, also what colour of ballast would fit in with the switcher layout as it is really a busy yard.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I use Hobby trade fine ballast which I got from Brian and Dave at Euroscale models via the Canterbury MRS show in January.
If you PM Brian Consadine or BRITHO they may be able to help.
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 30 Mar 2009, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use Hobby trade fine ballast which I got from Brian and Dave at Euroscale models via the Canterbury MRS show in January.
If you PM Brian Consadine or BRITHO they may be able to help.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the tip i want to use the WS tubs i have and am going for a mix for the yard, of cinders and a blend of buff/grey medium ballast.
Some weeds added in could give a varience

Thanks again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi All just a though on a easy track balast now I known a lot will fine this not to their liking but I was reroofing a shed and had a peice of roofing felt over now this is gray in colour with fine grit stuck on so I tried a lenth under some track it makes a very good base with right balast just paint the side and you have a cheap way to balast you layout as good as some shop item

regards Noel

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** A busy yard will not have a lot of ballast texture - I'd say the N ballast with some areas further filled in with sifted real dirt. (straight HO ballast always looks way too big by itself anyway)

I really don't think that colour is much of an issue - use the predominant colour from the rest of the area / the prototype area you are modelling... Or if freelance just use your preference.

It will be changed anyway - by the fact that its a busy place - In the end in any busy area with lots of switching colour will become dark-ish due to the oil and diesel and there will not be a lot of rust evident as the oils and brake dust etc etc coat the rail sides too....

Not too many weeds either in the busy areas - petroleum products dropped from diesel loco's have a tendency to kill things pretty well

regards

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 16 Apr 2009, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** A busy yard will not have a lot of ballast texture - I'd say the N ballast with some areas further filled in with sifted real dirt. (straight HO ballast always looks way too big by itself anyway)

I really don't think that colour is much of an issue - use the predominant colour from the rest of the area / the prototype area you are modelling... Or if freelance just use your preference.

It will be changed anyway - by the fact that its a busy place - In the end in any busy area with lots of switching colour will become dark-ish due to the oil and diesel and there will not be a lot of rust evident as the oils and brake dust etc etc coat the rail sides too....

Not too many weeds either in the busy areas - petroleum products dropped from diesel loco's have a tendency to kill things pretty well

regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the good advice ....... i have chosen a mix Brown/Grey/Cinders and real ash, (the ash is not too health concious) though i have a good source
what i need help with is the product Ozzie used on painting his rails as if i am correct you commented it looked good on another thread but after a search i cant find which thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts