Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How am I supposed to use the loose ballast and liquid glue to ballast the points without getting the moving parts stuck?

Thanks.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I think that the idea is that you don't.

You may have to apply ballast very carefully and perhaps paint the board under the points a ballast colour to keep the point mechanism working properly.

Instead of dripping on glue, I paint white glue around the points with a brush. I leave the areas around the moving parts completely clear.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
A good question, and one which I have managed to solve after many ruined points........

I have found that, depending on the type of ballast used, and I use granulated granite, that if the point is allowed to set in position the ballast can be brushed into position using a ladies make up brush (mine was stolen from the ex), the moving parts should then be moved back and forth several times to ensure free movement. once this is established GENTLY dribble the famous 50/50 pva & water mix onto the ballast, again making sure that all moving parts do!

Any small obstructions can then, when everything has dried out, be removed with a small file or craft knife.

Hope this helps

Regards

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, i suppose with the newer points and you could blow some of the excess ballast out of the gaps to keep it low down....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts