Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a bargain in Canterbury yesterday. Hornbys DCC ready Blue Pullman set for £69.99 which is listed on the Hornby site for £100.00! Got it runnning on my test track to run the motor in. It pulls smoothley and is quite a powerfull loco.

Anybody else picked up a bargain lately?
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
My latest bargain is St. Gatien (Hornby A3) at £42 (from Hattons) - not bad for a top of the range Pacific which is normally over £100!!

Split from a set but comes in a drawer type box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have to say that my bargains recently have all come from that well known flea market on the web. My latest pick-up, and one with which I am delighted, is four of the latest style detailed Pullman coaches, unboxed, for £14! I wish I could get them like that every day!!!!

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
Did I get the other half of that deal, acquiring a new coal rail tender A3 'unboxed' for £42?

I put the unboxed in quotes because it actually came packed in a Hornby factory box; which was of much greater strength, and of superior design and appearance when compared to the standard loco packaging. [irony mode] Perhaps if I ask the same retailer for a loco for free, it will come in a hand worked solid mahogany casket? [/Irony mode]

·
Registered
217 Posts
I doubt it somehow, as mine weren't from a retailer. And far from being well protected, mine turned up with some of the couplings smashed. No problem for me, though, as I wanted to take the couplings off anyway, as the close-fit ones mean I can't propel round my curves for shunting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Fireline @ 19 Aug 2008, 08:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have to say that my bargains recently have all come from that well known flea market on the web. My latest pick-up, and one with which I am delighted, is four of the latest style detailed Pullman coaches, unboxed, for £14! I wish I could get them like that every day!!!!
lol collected 4 pullman coaches local model shop for £12 each
all in boxes

·
Registered
217 Posts
QUOTE (tornado @ 27 Sep 2008, 00:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>lol collected 4 pullman coaches local model shop for £12 each
all in boxes

Mine was £14 total, not each!!!!
And I didn't realise that mine were the ones with the working lights in them! I do now....

·
Registered
9 Posts
cheap as chips at woolies

think ideal for add on to layout for kids to play with or just to utalise some of the wagons and loco

Was: £79.99

Save: £40.00

Now: £39.99

Description

All aboard the Midland Flyer Train Set! This classic set includes a tough little 0-4-0 steam locomotive, a selection of wagons and a small passenger coach emulating those small local trains of days gone by. The oval track with siding adds a degree of operational interest as wagons have to be shunted to and fro. The set comes complete with a controller and Trakmat, ideal for the beginner collector! Suitable for ages 5+

Features

* 0-4-0 steam locomotive
* 4 assorted wagons
* Trackside accessories
* Oval track with siding
* Train controller
* Trakmat

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/produc...sp?pid=50647048

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 18 Aug 2008, 15:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Picked up a bargain in Canterbury yesterday. Hornbys DCC ready Blue Pullman set for £69.99 which is listed on the Hornby site for £100.00! Got it runnning on my test track to run the motor in. It pulls smoothley and is quite a powerfull loco.

Anybody else picked up a bargain lately?
Steve

At a model railway show in the south of France last March found 6 marron airfix coaches still in the boxes with seals intact
the guy saw me looking at them, and said he had had them for ages, and cant shift them, ( not much demand for uk outline in france)

aske éà euro for the lot
almost ripped the wifes arm off getting the money oiut her purse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts