Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought for those who may have missed this but Hattons have some good looking bargains and I'll list some of the steamers, if you want other items then have a route through.

A variety of Bachmann Coal Tanks at £87 maybe a purchase
LMS 1F tank £69 others £66 I like the half cab loco and at this price its a 'probable'
Wainwright C in Southern black £86 - I have one already
G2A £99 - I have a few of these
SDJR 7F at £106 - despite having 5 of them in BR livery this is still tempting as I like this model
GCR Mons at £123 - blast just recently bought one and what a beautiful model!
Austerity at £115 - Good price but this is not a regular BR version
GCR O4 £112 - in same effort as the 7F an excellent model
Stanier mogul £112 - up near the top of the list
LBSC livery E4 £80 - now what excuse do I have for this one?
A2 £111 - Oh yes, I have an A2 but I do like these....

Heljan O2/3 &4 £89 or £84 ... I have an O2/3 but an /4 for £84 got be be a contender

Hornby
B17 for £79 - these are very nice
T9 at £86 - ....if you like these
700 at £59 .... very nice model and a good puller
K1's at £82 down to £64 ...surely bargain of the year, I have 2 and they are terrific
A3 Minoru at £71 .... not needing any more but.....
Adams radial at £59 ... tempting

And there are quite a few more, only problem is which to buy as clearly cannot buy them all but some are on my wish list so an order will be sent now will agonise over which one or even which 3?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Some "Sale of the Centrury" items are not than much of a bargain. merely reducing the price already offered by other retailers or still being more expensive. If theres a particular model you are after it pays to look around - for example the Bachmann Crab 42765 is £8.50 cheaper at Roxley Models https://www.roxleymodels.co.uk once you take postage into account , and Bachmann Class 70 70015 £12.51 cheaper at Colletts Models https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/ factoring in their postage rate .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Still there are quite a few tempting offers - I will see how the budget can be stretched particularly to some of the Southern Region items.

Regards,

John

·
Oldbiker
80 Posts
I’m afraid I was tempted, and have a Bachman class 416 on order, I have wanted one of these for a while but where just out of reach, so I dived in and ordered one, I told my partner that I had ordered another train and well the look she gave me said it all, so now it’s cost me a trip to the theatre to see a queen tribute group as well... what can I say 😇

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
I hope you enjoy the Tribute Band!

Rails Of Sheffield are having "Flash Sales" if you are on their Email list....

Today was the Oxford "Great Western" Green Dean Goods with Snowplough for £70-something....

Now that was tempting....

So I checked around a bit, and bought a BR Early Crest Black one without snow plough for around £68.00 with shipping included!

So now I won't need to re-paint or remove a snow plough!

Ffrwd Locks is 1950s, so the black one is spot on!

·
Oldbiker
80 Posts
Will update you on the tribute band (queen) but I’m sure I will get much more pleasure from my new purchase 🙂

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure you are all agog with wondering what Santa will bring (assuming he can sneak them into the house whilst the house VIP is not attending,

So I have a shortlist
Bachmann
A2 Trimbush £111 - I have Pearl Diver but so like this model although there were few built still ......
Stanier mogul 42968 £112 - again my 42969 is superb and I am very impressed
LBSC E4 £80 - just appeals somehow, bit odd for my geographic area but who cares?
Midland 1F British Rail with open cab £66 - amazing first type built 1863 and some still working in 1963 I believe so iconic and long lived the one modelled lasted a mere 70 years, anyway plenty of excuse for one of these - note here to Bachmann my late dad commented 'I saw every type of loco you could find and worked LNER locos of all types but I never saw a cream cab interior!'
Hornby
B17 Barnsley £89 - what a great model for the money so although I have 2 at this money well worth a punt
GWR 52xx £89 - not got one yet but do have a 72xx, wonder if it might make a good banker and 'thunderbird'
Adams radial £59 - quirky but again at £59 the prices take me back to the steam era!
Heljan
O2/4 already have an O2/3 but would prefer a GNR cab version but this has never appeared so for £84 hard to better but a word of note, - not for the tenderfoot with Hornby track curves - streamline and long curves only!

So I am down to 8 and will take 3 (if VIP is distracted) so which ones? - any views or advice?

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Kris, tank engines made up roughly a third of the BR stock in 1948 and are usually under-represented on model railways. Cheaper too
in model form, so you might squeeze four out of the budget? Not that I am trying to tempt you or anything...

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I know what you mean except of course that the GWR had the same number of tanks as tender locos.

So I pretty much decided to buy
1. The Midland 1F and at least I have a spare 6 pin decoder for it. £66 (sort of a tie breaker that)
2. Heljan O2/4 cos tis a lot of loco for the dosh, OK a bit precious when it comes to running on my relaxed yet sharper curves but still for £84 beer tokens - well it has to be a favourite. £84 + £66 = £150 (I found that fitting replacement front bogie with deeper flanged wheels helps keep it on the track but it does rail climb on points a bit even so.
3. Barnsley for £89, I really want a another B1 but this looks like a direct fit for a B3/3 6166 so maybe one of mine will go that way but at £89 thats a serious jobbie
£89 + £150 = £239. Probably I'll convert the GE 61637 area one and keep the group std tenders as B17's, both Barnsley and my other Grimsby were stationed at Woodford Halso centre of my 'area' so again that is a good fit.

So that looks like the selection and although another £59 for the Adams is hard to miss I am a bit stretched just now having bought my sisters car as it is the same as mine but an estate and it needs a lot doing to it but it did clean up quite well - and needed it anyway if house VIP and angry boss finds out it may be an uncomfortable Christmas so I think I'll go that way. The LBSC liveried E4's seem to have all gone as well and the BR version is very plain, Trimbush is tempting as is the Stanier mogul but I think they are less needed on my layout

·
Registered
283 Posts
Could not resist the 1F with cab from Bachmann at £66, when I popped in - as they had a long connection with with Birkenhead as did the half-cab 1F too, from early LMS times...

Have to agree though that in some cases a tenner of a £130 loco is not much of a sale !

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sarah, I have a lot of kit locos inherited from father but not one of these, my Jinty is a Bachmann SDJR no 23 and makes a very good thunderbird as it runs slow so when it buffers up to a stuck train it does not throw the stock off the track but does the job and pushes the train enough to get it going.

Sorry for the poor photo but is the only one of my slow and dirty jintyI can find - I so hope the 1F is as good

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
The Bachmann "Jinty" (The S&D ones were called "Bagnalls" as they were built by Bagnalls!) is a fine loco.

I should have used the Crownline parts on one of them, but I didn't get my paws on a bashed up one until it was too late! So the BM one is still to fix up...

I do have a Bachmann "Jinty" on the books as well...

As bought...

After the crew was fitted...

Re-finished...

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well an update on Santa's activity around Towcaster may be due.

The District Locomotive Superintendent despite being pretty thoroughly inundated with steam locos actually received 2 more as of yesterday although there was originally likely to be 3 newcomers.

The original intention was to add a Johnson 1F half cab tank and this duly turned up in the form of 41803, a second O2 this time a /4 version numbered 63975 and this one went to work as well. Now on the earlier allocation of one of these there was a lot of problems with the front pony truck but this one is better although the wheels look the same, I changed the front pony axle on -52 but -75 has been good from the start so the work done by the permanent way gang must have been a good effort.

There had been the intention to add a B17 Barnsley but this seems to have gone elsewhere so the allocators decided to opt for another B1 this time in BR apple green, sadly these too were snapped up by other fortunate sheds so in the end it was decided to economise and take just the 2 locos instead of 3, another B1 remains an aim but really the depot is well supplied for now.

Photos to follow of the new arrivals.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gosh - this is so good everyone is stunned into silence or more likely sleeping off the effects of good living.

On with the show!

The other bargain purchase at £66 is the nice little 1F tank, I wanted one with a half cab and BR livery so it is the version with no logos but BRITISH RAILWAYS on the side tanks but thats ok, my rule here is that if it had existed before then its OK if it came afterwards then it is not, so we are good.

The little tank has a 6 pin decoder but I had a spare one and that went in, coded up to 1803 and off she goes. For such a small loco it is very well weighted and a load of 11 coal wagons most of them weighty Wrenn models was handled with ease, in fact this is a very nice runner and a pleasure to have on the railway.

Crossing the Q Alexandra Bridge

Another of those untypical cream cab interiors from the time when everything was black, crew look relaxed however

another one at work

·
C55
2,456 Posts
Nice pictures Kris.

I must be getting really sad in my dotage, I looked up the moto on the bridge, expecting something significant, rather 1935's pomp and ceremony. Well it was relevant ... really ... it translates as River Bridge!

Someone at Hornby clearly had a sense of humour .............. and too much Latin at school!

Kind regards

Julian

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never spotted that well it is the Queen Alexandra Bridge as far as Towcaster is concerned, I gave up latin when aged 12 despite being quite good and thankfully did extra maths in lieu.

From above I never told you the price of the O2 and this was £84 which is a good deal.

So the O2/4 was only converted to a /4 in 1962 and then the loco was withdrawn in 1963 a life of just under 21 years - good compared to a 9F I suppose however as you see it - it is an optical illusion as at the Groundhog day at Towcaster it was actually enjoying its 56 day rebuild at Doncaster

The loco coped with my outermost loop but I did note a slight sort of corkscrew motion so I suppose the conjugated gear is to blame
Another photo of the newcomer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts