Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited Barrow Hill Roundhouse over the weekend for their Rail Power event. What a superb place this is, it is easy to imagine the working industrial atmosphere in and around this unique building. Here are some of my photo's:

Class 14 "Teddy Bear"

Class 14

Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 & GWR Pannier Tank

MR 1F & Drewry Shunter

Class 40 D213 in "as new" condition

Class 40

Class 26 26007

Beattie Well Tank 30587

Class 20 D8132 "Barrow Hill Depot"

DRS Class 66

Deltic in workshop

Deltic engine

Metropolitan Tank No.1

Definately worth a visit, open most weekends. Barrow Hill website

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
howzatt thanks for posting the pictures. what an ecclectic mix of loco's there really is something for evryone there.

Very interesting to see a napier out of the box.

and met no 1 is looking fantastic.

Peter

P.S. i am very supprised to see so many nice clean engines. i always associate barrow hill with the "heavily weathered" brigade. but i have never been there. it looks like i am mistaken.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks like a good day out, however I can think of no earthly reason why a 14 would be carrying a class 1 headcode!

QUOTE (Howzatt @ 25 Aug 2008, 18:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[

Class 20 D8132 "Barrow Hill Depot"

Just a query on this pic - is that the old GWR gas turbine lurking in the background?

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for everyone's kind words.

Yes Britho, you are correct, it is the GWR commisioned gas turbine 18000, here's a photo:

I can't answer your question on the Class 14 headcode, but thanks for the observation.

Peter, thanks for your interest in Met No.1, here's a close up:

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Looking through those excellent photos again I wondered how long before a 66 goes into preservation ? Probably a very, very long time, if ever - maybe by that time absolutely everything will have to be recycled with no room for sentiment.........

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 27 Aug 2008, 06:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking through those excellent photos again I wondered how long before a 66 goes into preservation ? Probably a very, very long time, if ever - maybe by that time absolutely everything will have to be recycled with no room for sentiment.........

Hmm - a good question, I would estimate at least another 15-20 years at least. That is assuming that the preservation industry continues as it does now.

Mind you the thought of a 66 trundling down a little branch line towing 3 mark 1's is a lttle disconcerting!

Regards

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That Class 40 looks like it came straight out of the box. I wonder if it looked that good on the day when it was new?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE That Class 40 looks like it came straight out of the box. I wonder if it looked that good on the day when it was new?
One class 40 was still running around in that livery in 1977. It didn't look anything like that though!

David

·
Registered
675 Posts
Nice to see the Class 14 Teddy Bear. Must try and make the trip there.

Wandering slightly off topic, am surprised the Hattons' Heljan Teddy Bear is £115, limited edition or not.

mal

·
Registered
18 Posts
rail power 2008 was great, the atmosphere in the roundhouse was fantastic, and seeing 8 napier deltic engines some completely dismatled in the deltic preservation society shed was brilliant.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 27 Aug 2008, 23:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That Class 40 looks like it came straight out of the box. I wonder if it looked that good on the day when it was new?

Er - no When built D213 would not have had yellow ends, it would have been green overall, especially as it was one of the initial batch!

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts