Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to switch to an "open frame" style of baseboard instead of the "closed table top" style I have used in the past. From what I can remember from previous threads and blogs, the consensus on this Forum is to use 1/2 inch ply for the track bed topped by a thin layer of cork - often floor tiles from B & Q.

I do not possess any powered saws but the thought of all the cutting and shaping I will need to do has convinced me that I need to buy one. I think that a jigsaw will be necessary for the curved sections - the minimum track radius will be around 21 inches.

Is this a good idea and if so how many teeth per inch should the blade have? I have memories of plywood splintering badly if the teeth in the saw are too coarse.

David

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi David
For open top baseboards (which I have opted for this time around - See my web site http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/the%20new%20layout.htm )
You would be best off with two types of saws which I have used - Electric jig saw fitted with a blade that cuts on the down stroke rather than the more normal up stroke cut of most blades - have a good look at the blades on sale in B & Q, Wickes etc and you will find fairly fine down stroke cutting blades available for most makes of jig saws.
I also recommend a mitre saw (I have a 600mm long blade version) these are manual cutting saws with fixed cutting angles for trimming ends of PSE timber etc before assembly of the frame work. A 100% 90 degree cut etc always! If you can afford one, an electric compound drop mitre saw (chop saw) is useful item to have but not essential, as the manual mitre saw is just as good but takes longer to cut timber!

All the best

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 26 Aug 2007, 11:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do not possess any powered saws but the thought of all the cutting and shaping I will need to do has convinced me that I need to buy one. I think that a jigsaw will be necessary for the curved sections - the minimum track radius will be around 21 inches.

David

Hi David,

Go for as fine a blade as possible & let the blade do the work - do not force it.

Lidl (or is it Aldi or Netto) are doing a mains jigsaw for something like £9.99 at the moment so that may be worth a look - I'll try & find the details & post the URL.

BTW - your Roco item is on order.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I recently started a new layout and so to help with all the cutting bought an electric mitre saw or chop saw from B and Q. It was only £29.98 and I even got £3 off that by using my pensioner's card on a Wednesday. Apart from being much quicker at cutting, it makes the ends absolutely square which you can't do by hand - well I can't anyway!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 26 Aug 2007, 15:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I recently started a new layout and so to help with all the cutting bought an electric mitre saw or chop saw from B and Q. It was only £29.98 and I even got £3 off that by using my pensioner's card on a Wednesday. Apart from being much quicker at cutting, it makes the ends absolutely square which you can't do by hand - well I can't anyway!

I got a tenner off mine because they could'nt find the box !

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE I recently started a new layout and so to help with all the cutting bought an electric mitre saw or chop saw from B and Q. It was only £29.98 and I even got £3 off that by using my pensioner's card on a Wednesday. Apart from being much quicker at cutting, it makes the ends absolutely square which you can't do by hand - well I can't anyway!

I only buy at B&Q on a Weds, if I have returns I use another day as they give a credit for the full amount (IE they don't subtract the 10% golden oldies discount).

Diamond discount card - it's even better when they have a 25% off deal and your 10% diamond card and then return an item or two !

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice.

The only Wednesday discounts I get are from Orange for the cinema and it's my son that gets in free? Still The Bourne Ultimatum was enjoyable and there are some trains too.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE Don't go too cheap.
Thanks for the excuse
My tendency is to go the other way.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 29 Aug 2007, 02:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the excuse
My tendency is to go the other way.

David
Same here, I love an excuse to get power tools.

BTW Watch you fingers. There is a tendency for some to saw through their fingers as well as the wood with jig saws. I know you're a lot smarter than that but it's worth bearing in mind.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE I know you're a lot smarter than that but it's worth bearing in mind.
Not when it comes to using my hands! Safety advice for power tool use can never be repeated too often.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts