Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to switch to an "open frame" style of baseboard instead of the "closed table top" style I have used in the past. From what I can remember from previous threads and blogs, the consensus on this Forum is to use 1/2 inch ply for the track bed topped by a thin layer of cork - often floor tiles from B & Q.

I do not possess any powered saws but the thought of all the cutting and shaping I will need to do has convinced me that I need to buy one. I think that a jigsaw will be necessary for the curved sections - the minimum track radius will be around 21 inches.

Is this a good idea and if so how many teeth per inch should the blade have? I have memories of plywood splintering badly if the teeth in the saw are too coarse.

David

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice.

The only Wednesday discounts I get are from Orange for the cinema and it's my son that gets in free? Still The Bourne Ultimatum was enjoyable and there are some trains too.

David

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE Don't go too cheap.
Thanks for the excuse
My tendency is to go the other way.

David

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE I know you're a lot smarter than that but it's worth bearing in mind.
Not when it comes to using my hands! Safety advice for power tool use can never be repeated too often.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.