Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for something to silence my baseboards when running my locos over it as it seemes to resonate the sound of the loco through the board even with ballasting, i have seen a product if i remember correctly like a compressed foam very dense but light but forgotten where,
i have an area of 6ft X 2ft 6" on one board and 6ft 4" X 2ft to cover and would like to keep cost down if possible.
Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

upnick.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Very good advice, but could you clear up the type of glue resin W is please, have used resin glues but not heard of a variant "W"

upnick.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resin W sounds like aliphatic glue i have used before which is water based but can be sanded once dry to a tough finish,
More thoughts on the silencing of my boards has come from my diy store with the use of underfloor tile insulation used for woodfloors.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi All,

I have found the solution to my problems, a trip to floors to go proved useful in the shape of underfloor insultation used on wooden floors it comes a metre wide and cut to any length you require of the roll, just over £17.00 for 13ft long.
3mm thick rubber with a silver backing.
Applied with loads of pva glue and stapled to my boards all that can be heard now is the motor no resonance from the boards, i did remove the staples from the boards once set to save problems later, as murphy's law always puts the staple where you need to drill etc for wires ..... lol

upnick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.