Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fictitious layout called after me.. is about to be born.

All these years of collecting is now, hopefully, going to be put into good use.

Armchair modelling is over. I'm rolling up my sleeves and starting to hammer in.

Below is what I got. Not much, but better than nothing.

I've got a couple of options:

1) This I'd love to do and inspired me alot.

2) This, a rough scetch from one of my friends:

3) Finally, the all around the room with a lift out section on the doorway. Remember, MMaD posted a layout from Modelrailroader magazine, similar, but of course on a much smaller scale. The only thing which bothers me is the Liftout section. How to approach it technically I still have to figure out.

Any comments on all the above will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Baykal,

Don't rush into a project,make a list of what you want from your layout first

then incorporate them into the design.
The first design looks good,but looks as if you will only be able to run tank engines

Keep me posted,as I am very interested on what you decide.

All the best,

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Like David said you just can't spend enough time planning. Get it all down on paper, everything you would like to incorporate and see what’s really practical. Do a scale diagram to see the size of your curves and what will fit in. It is really tempting to get your trains up and running but be patient.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi David,

Due to the restraints of the room size I have decided to have a "go around the room layout."

I am at the moment doing all the carpentry, at least the skeleton. I am leaving abt 50x 150 cms in the middle of the room which seems OK, movement wise.

Height is 80 cms and if I decide to make a helix it would go up to 110 cms.

The doorway will be a liftout section. Any suggestions of how to approach a liftout section is welcomed.

I'll try to post the progress, with pictures, every step as I go along.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 16 Jul 2007, 19:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Height is 80 cms and if I decide to make a helix it would go up to 110 cms.

The doorway will be a liftout section. Any suggestions of how to approach a liftout section is welcomed.

Have you thought about going higher? Last summer I rebuilt my fathers shed layout for him and raised it to 135cms or 4ft 6inches high to make it easier on the back to get in and out. You can sit on a stool and view the layout at eyelevel which looks so much better as it is more realistic and has the benefit of not highlighting how sharp some of our curves are.
It also means there is loads of space below the layout for a workbench, bookcases, stock storage or whatever else you want to fit in.
Try putting a piece of board with a loco on at different heights so you can stand back and see what it looks like. You could eliminate the liftout with a duckunder section. To find a comfortable height for a duckunder entrance to the room put a piece of tape across the doorway and see what height it would have to be to avoid hitting it.

Good luck

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 17 Jul 2007, 04:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi David,
The doorway will be a lift-out section. Any suggestions of how to approach a liftout section is welcomed.
Cheers
Baykal

It may not be possible for you but have you thought of redoing your door so that it either slides or opens outward? Then provided your back is OK no lift-out is required. Then of course the higher the layout the better.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Hi Baykal,

I have always built duck unders and have no experience of lifting sections,but must admit I am regretting not having done this.

There must be plenty of people in this forum who can advise you.

All the best,

David

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Took a 3 week holiday. It was only the sun, sea and me . No technological equipments was allowed by the missus

So,I haven't done much but finished the first supposedly gona be hidden fiddle yard before holidaying.

Below is the latest picture I took this morning seen thru the door.

Paul, I appreciate yr suggestion of going higher than 110 cms, if it where for me, I'd go chest size however as you can see from the picture there is a window preventing me in doing so. The missus gave me an ultimatom that I should not block the opening of the window. I have to figure out a way passing to the left side table.

Ozwarrior, redoing the door? She would never even let me think abt it. I should be greatful she gave me the whole room!!
( besides she doesn't know I have ordered the Esu Ecos. So fiddling with the door is a no no.)

David, as you can see from the picture, the crossing from the left to the right table is the place that I plan to do the lift off section. I have discovered that Faller has a steel framed girdle bridge which is exactly 56 cm's long. Exactly the length of the crossing. I plan to use it.

Anyway, I really do not want to rush things up but to progress step by step. I know its a small layout but shall try to make the maximum out of it.

Shall continue to share the progress as I go along.

Cheers

Baykal

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Hello. I had a lift-out section on a previous layout. I made it slightly wider at the back than at the front. This makes it very easy to fit in amd remove as it only becomes tight when in exactly the right position. Hope that this idea helps.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello Baykal

Sorry i missed the start of your layout. i have been away in china (i will send you the pics along with the others i still havent sent to you-sorry i am getting around to it!!)

I cant wait for that moment. i too have basically been an armchair modeller because i move house soo much and apart from my short test track have to rely on the club layout to provide me with entertainment.
I always live in the hope of one day realising that dream layout i have in my head!

It seems to be progressing well. remember to think about your curves. understand about transition curves. you would be supprides at what a difference they make.
I think you have made the right choice about going for a round the room layout with the space you have. 18inch curves are fine for most stock but one day you might get that "something nice" that just wont go round.

Peter

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome back Peter, anxious to hear yr experiences in China.

Now am trying to figure out the track plan which will suit and go along with all the scratchbuilt and ready made kits that I made over the years.

Seems like I am short of space

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I certainly recognise a few of the Faller and Vollmer kits in there Baykal, reminds me of my spare room which has piles of buildings awaiting a home.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 23 Aug 2007, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like that engine shed.

I think it's a Vollmer kit - not sure if it's still available though.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 23 Aug 2007, 16:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys,guys come on !

My profound apologies - I had no desire to detract from your handywork

Regards

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did a bit of experimenting today.

Since most of my locos are steam engines I really like the idea of a complete steam engine facility with sheds, water filling, sanding , decoking, inspection pits and coaling stages.

And after upgrading to DCC it will be a joy to see does steamers running up and down and on the same track !

Anyway looks like the experimenting will go on for a while.

Cheers

Baykal

1 - 20 of 554 Posts