Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beckenham Model Railshow 2008

Langley Park Boys School, South Eden Park Road, Beckenham, Kent BR3 3BP.

Saturday 25th October 2008 10am - 6pm
Sunday 26th October 2008 10am - 5pm

* Up to 20 working layouts
* Trade Stands
* Society Stands
* Light Refreshments
* Club Shop

List of Exhibitors

1 Swaynton
2 High Gables
3 Joe Lock
4 H M Baseboards
5 Showcase
6 Double 0 gauge association
7 Staindrop
8 J B Photocards
9 Just Trains
10 Roger Jones
11 Lynton & Barnstaple trust
12 Alte Zeit Gruppe
13 Kaponig
14 German Railway Society
15 Class 47 Loco Society
16 RCTS
17 Sankley
18 Stan Clarke
19 Demonstrations
20 Pullman Society
21 St. Mark Yard
22 Eddystone
23 Dave Dash
24 Dave's Railway Videos
25 Croydon MRS
26 Vintage Hornby Dublo
27 Callowland
28 Andy Lynch
29 Club shop
30 Laira bridge
31 Modeller's Mate
32 Coombe Wharf
33 Demonstration
34 Ray Mansfield
35 Mostyn
36 Smorovka
37 EuroScale Models
38 ST Laurent
39 West Medford
40 Sölden
41 Demonstration
42 Bromsgrove Models
43 Farnborough Road
44 Pat Price
45 Kent Garden Railways
(The above list of exhibitors is correct at the time of going to press. The Beckenham and West Wickham Model Railway Club reserve the right to substitute any cancelled entries prior to the event.)

Admission

Adults: £5, Child £3, OAP: £4, Family (2+2): £10

How to get there
Click HERE for a map.

By Train: South Eastern Mid Kent (Hayes) Line to Eden Park from Elmers End (for Tramlink), Clock House, Lewisham (for DLR), London Bridge- 10 minute walk.

By Bus: Metrobus Route 356 (Shirley - Elmers End - Anerley - Forest Hill - Upper Sydenham), Metrobus Route 358 (Orpington - Bromley - Beckenham - Penge - Crystal Palace) or Arriva Route 194 (Sydenham - Penge - Beckenham - West Wickham - Shirley - Croydon) to South Eden Park Road (10 minute walk).

By Car:
Further: From the West, Junction 6 of the M25, then A22, A2022 Sanderstead, Selsdon, Addington, Coney Hall, A232 West Wickham, A214 Beckenham OR From the South East or Dartford Crossing, Junction 4 of the M25, then A21 Bromley, A232 West Wickham, A214 Beckenham.

Local: Follow the RAC signs from Beckenham, Elmers End and West Wickham. The school is in Hawksbrook Lane, off South Eden Park Road. Turn into Hawksbrook Lane as directed and our signs and stewards will direct you to car parking spaces. We have extensive car parking on site. Please speak to a steward if you have special requirements such as requiring wheelchair access.

Why not come along and see our layouts for yourself?

For further Information, please contact. gregmarshall121[at sign]hotmail[dot]com

Most up to date information available from:
http://www.bwwmrc.co.uk/exhibitions/Langley08/index.shtml

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You've saved us the effort of putting this on! As shown above we'll be there with both parts of the operation, 37 & 38, so if you are there come and say hello.

Regards

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see you on Friday night during set-up then? I won't be there on Saturday, but I do have two turns on car park stewardship (!) on the Sunday.

Regards,

Dan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well, we'll look forward to meeting you both there.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 23 Oct 2008, 06:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i thought i would bump this thread as the show is this weekend.

looking forward to it on sunday.

Excellent - you never know you could get a crash course in layout operation!

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well it's been and gone,

It was nice to meet a few members of the forum and they hopefully enjoyed our efforts with SL.

I only bought two items, a Bachmann class 24 and 21 pin decoder, which all being well I will do a review on shortly.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 27 Oct 2008, 17:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well it's been and gone,

It was nice to meet a few members of the forum

Yes, nice to be able to put some faces to the names.

A very hectic, but most enjoyable weekend, SL played up a little for the first hour of Saturday, but after that settled down so that I hardly had to touch it for the rest of the weekend.

Sales are were too bad either, especially when you consider the economic situation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was nice to chat to you David and Brian and St Laurent looked great

Didn't manage to bump into Peter though.

We were slightly up on attendance compared to last year, which was good considering all that's going on with the economy at present.

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
time for some pictures.

sorry for the delay. i have been very busy this week.

it was a good show. quite big for a local show. it was in a school and it was like a rabit warren with layouts and stalls in each of the classrooms.

getting there was easy and it was only about 5 minutes walk from the station.

some of the rooms were a bit cramped but generally it was fine.
I actually didnt take many pictures at this show. there was a LNER layout which was very pretty. and a teak coach that had a truly astonishing paint job! (they had actually painted the vermillion down the sides of the straw lining!! i would never even attempt that!)

There was a very nice TT gauge layout there that was running some resin models from the same source as the shells that are in my to-do box. it was great to see some of these actually finished!!

euroscale and st laurent were there! and i finally got to see the layout in person. i was looking forward to having a go on the layout but it was all automated! the guys have done a good job with this layout. there is something moving all the time and the automation does wonders to take the stress out of operation.

there was some very nice stock on their fiddleyard. i am very jealous of the CIWL rake!!

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Dan Hamblin @ 28 Oct 2008, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It was nice to chat to you David and Brian and St Laurent looked great

Thank you for the compliments! It is nice to be appreciated, also Good to here your attendance figures were up on last year.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Thank you for the complimentary words Peter, and also some very good photos of SL. Those LNER coaches really were astounding weren't they!

I see that you indulged in a little "penguin spotting" while you were with us, I think the one you photographed has probably had enough of mine and Brian's humour.

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Oct 2008, 13:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just for the record and for those that haven't met us Brian is on the left and I am on the right.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It was nice to meet Dan & Peter for the first time.

We had a good, albeit very hectic weekend, not helped by my work commitments on Friday (not leaving Heathrow until 15.30 on Friday !) so we were unable to set up until until the Saturday morning - many thanks to Terry who made a special journey just to help us get set up.

Having SL automated really does take the stress away - it also means that if we only have the layout we can manage with a minimum of two people, that coupled with the fact we have our own transport really does make us "value for money" (well, we think so.)

Many thanks to Simon from Hornby Hobbies for assistance putting the CIWL rake together - they really are stunning coaches & are in fact a tribute to my later mother, so AFAIK the set is feasible, if a little unlikely.

Thanks for the pictures & the report Peter - it really is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO)some very good photos of SL. Those LNER coaches really were astounding weren't they!

I see that you indulged in a little "penguin spotting" while you were with us, I think the one you photographed has probably had enough of mine and Brian's humour.

next time i will take some under more "controlled conditions"! getting a long depth of focus is very difficult when the lighting is not great and i didnt have a tripod with me.
for those who dont know, to get the depth of focus you need to crank down the aperature and take a longer exposure (sometimes several seconds). this means you have to keep the camera dead steady, something very difficult when you dont have a tripod.

i actually didnt realise i had a picture of the penguin untill i got back and went through the pictures on my computer! i am still getting the hang of my camera and i had it set to centre focus. the thing int he middle of the frame just happened to be a penguin!! (i like to thing he is posing!!)

Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 31 Oct 2008, 06:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i actually didnt realise i had a picture of the penguin untill i got back and went through the pictures on my computer! i am still getting the hang of my camera and i had it set to centre focus. the thing int he middle of the frame just happened to be a penguin!! (i like to thing he is posing!!)

Peter

He's actually one of five on the layout, as well as a pair of legs sticking out of a bush & Flying Officer Kite (oh, & not forgetting Tiger Woods !). If children manage to spot all five penguins they get a lolly (with parent permission of course). Just our sense of humour, after all we are there to entertain the public (something that some layout operators seem to forget).

The lighting in the hall where we were was not too good - although it did serve to highlight the lighting effects better !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 31 Oct 2008, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>He's actually one of five on the layout, as well as a pair of legs sticking out of a bush & Flying Officer Kite (oh, & not forgetting Tiger Woods !).

You can actually see the tiger in one photo, and if you look carefully you can also spot F/O Kite.

Regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts