Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this article on the BBC website. This is Berlins newly completed railway station. It's a beaut.

"Featuring vast glass panels it is Europe's largest station and will handle more than 1,100 trains a day."

"As Germany prepares for the football World Cup, the wraps come off a new landmark - Berlin's central railway station."

"The station has 54 escalators and 34 lifts - some offering views over the city, looking out at the Bundestag."

"It is located next to the River Spree, a few metres west of the no-man's-land where the Berlin Wall once stood."

"A sound and light show will crown a weekend of celebrations to mark the opening."

"Deutsche Bahn chief executive Hartmut Mehdorn has described it as "the most beautiful station in the world"."

I wonder how much space that would take up in HO scale?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Does it really need to be so tall?
There was an item on European railways in the BBC Radio 4 "Four Corners" programme on Monday 22nd May. The first minute or so of this item is taken up with a description of the new station in Berlin and the thoughts behind its style. You can listen to the programme again (until Monday 29th May) by going to the "Four Corners" website using this link:-

BBC Radio 4 "Four Corners"

The item starts about 18:30 into the programme and continues to the end.

After Monday 29th May, you will have to go to the "Listen Again" section and hunt around in there.

David

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (Ben Manicom @ 27 May 2006, 14:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does it really need to be so tall?Even taller when you consider it goes underground too!

The radio feature reports that a 3 storey shopping mall is part of the station.

How many platforms are there in total? There are 6 visable above ground in the photo at the top.

·
Registered
697 Posts
London is also getting its first brand new terminus in nearly 100 years.
The new St. Pancras consists of a brand new domestic station and a completely re-built and restored original trainshed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Imagine having to clean that roof. Going to be a mecca for half the pigeons in Europe. Great isn't it they get a brand new station for the world cup and we'll be lucky to get another 200 yards of the docklands light railway built in time for the olympics.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I suppose it is good for job creation in terms of window cleaning
When did you see a train shed roof with clean windows?

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The Barlow shed at St Pancras is having all its glass restored, which should make it lighter and brighter than we've known it for many years. Can't say I particularly like the flat canopies in front of it over the extended platforms, however - doesn't go with the curved roof of the old station.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
697 Posts
On the subject of keeping it clean, I read on another forum that all diesels (and steam), will be barred from entering St. Pancras' re-built original trainshed. That's reserved for Eurostars.
Only the Midland mainline section of the new station will allow diesel traffic.

"Looks more like an airport than a station"

What's a station supposed to look like then ????

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 29 May 2006, 10:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Barlow shed at St Pancras is having all its glass restored, which should make it lighter and brighter than we've known it for many years. Can't say I particularly like the flat canopies in front of it over the extended platforms, however - doesn't go with the curved roof of the old station.
Regards,
John WebbYes, the flat roof of the extension and new station platforms doesn't seem to blend very well with the old shape.
Considering the amount of work being put in to the old station, it's surprising that the newer bits aren't more sympathetic to the original. We will have to wait and see.

The Barlow trainshed is having an awful lot more done to it than "having all its glass restored".
All new glass, all new roof tiles, a large amount of new supporting steelwork, i.e effectively a brand new roof.
The interior has been completely gutted, and I believe the train deck was removed (not sure), to allow for a new platform level with a redeveloped undercroft.

Click on this link to the LCR site

There are a few photos on the above link.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Would I be right in saying there's no connection between Berlin's new station and Birmingham New Street.
New Street has to be the worst designed, dirtest crap hole, and the worst run station in the world. I'm being complementary here !

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thanks for those. Certainly has more character than the Berlin one, in my opinion. I rather like the effect on the roof in the daytime aerial shot (2nd picture) of what look like several pairs of tracks running parallell to the real ones.
Strikes me as a cross between the supporting structures at Stansted airport, in Essex, part of the stands at Lord's Cricket ground and something of the 'Eurostar' section of Waterloo station in London.

It does seem to me that as the railways compete for airline passengers, the stations are being made to look more like airport buildings, perhaps to make convertees feel more at home?

Regards,
John Webb

PS Does anyone else beside me detest the huge rise in references to 'Train Stations' rather than 'Railway Stations' - ugh!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts