Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought now that I am back at work that money wouldn't be that much of a problem and I was just about to order myself my last 3 chips needed to convert my last locos to dcc when I had a thought about my car and when it's MOT was due.

I looked in my records and whilst I've been off I realised that the MOT was due this month so the chips are going to have to wait until at least this month due to the cost of the test.

Has anyone else had this problem where you were planning to do some work towards the hobby and there has been something crop up which has taken the money you had planned for something else?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Always happens just when the model I want comes up at a reasonable price on Ebay!

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
It happens every week for me at the minute, just as I think about getting something, along comes another bill or someone wanting money, even more so now its 5 weeks today that I get married!

Brian
CME MillDale

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Fortunately I'm as rich as Crassus so it's only when purchasing real locomotives at auctions that the the far worse question of how to hide them from the other half arises!

No really, well except for the part about being rich and and also I'm not married...

What I find more interesting though is when preordering models with an non-fixed delivery date it can be tricky to work out just when those 250 euros or whatever are going to appear on the credit card. But then again I'm probably old fashioned in that I save up for something before buying it rather than buying on credit in the way the banks prefer.

Another similar problem is when time scheduled for modelling or running trains get stolen by trivialities that pop up - you know, like mother-in-laws arriving unexpectedly or other people demanding to be taken or shopping or moaning about the grass not being cut or the car not shinny enough...

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have had to have a realistic assessment of what I can afford and what I cannot. There is a lot of stuff that I have ordered which will all be coming out at christmas and I wont have enough dosh to pay for it all then. Regretably I have had to cancel my order for my Brawa S9 infavour of something less expensive which will be coming out in Feb. The exchange rate didn't help matters much either.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
It always seems to happen, you save a few quid and then the kitchen ceiling collapses as the cistern in the bathroom has been leaking through the floor.

I'll just have to use my overtime money to fund my next purchase.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Has anyone else had this problem where you were planning to do some work towards the hobby and there has been something crop up which has taken the money you had planned for something else?

Yup

David

·
Registered
340 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 4 Aug 2008, 16:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It always seems to happen, you save a few quid and then the kitchen ceiling collapses as the cistern in the bathroom has been leaking through the floor.

I'll just have to use my overtime money to fund my next purchase.

Regards
I understand that entirely, just as we were about to redo the basement, some friends point out some orange crystals underneath the boiler pointing to a complete reconstruction of the boiler, new fuel tank and relocating the whole lot to a great whopping hole in the garden!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts