Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking for some time now, on the best method to paint sides of my rail track, as to type of and colour of paint
All track at present laid.
However, at this time, ballasting the track is not part of the exercises - tips will certainly be most appreciated.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
The best way is probably to use an airbrush with some nice rust tones sprayed on.

Once the rails are done, you can weather the whole area, masking the rails as required. Add ash, grime and engine oil (painted effects) afterwards as required.

The old wooden sleepers will be more grey than brown. Newer ones will have black-brown creosote and will be darker.

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 18 Mar 2007, 19:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The best way is probably to use an airbrush with some nice rust tones sprayed on.

Once the rails are done, you can weather the whole area, masking the rails as required. Add ash, grime and engine oil (painted effects) afterwards as required.

The old wooden sleepers will be more grey than brown. Newer ones will have black-brown creosote and will be darker.

Using an airbrush is the fastest and most economical way of painting track and in my opinion also gives the best results. I have found that acrylics are the best paints to use. If you cannot find the right colour straight from the container, mix different colours until you get that rusty grimy colour. Store the mixture in a seperate container and remember to keep a record of the mixture formula for future use.

Mask all areas you do not want to spray such as the point contacts etc with masking tape. Once the paint is dry you can use your track cleaning block to rub off the paint from the top of the rails. Do NOT use sandpaper as it leaves microscopic scratches on the rail surface where grime and dirt will eventually collect causing bad pick-up/contact. If you wish you can now further weather the track area as described by Doug.

Have fun and enjoy your hobby.

Kind regards.

Johan

Johan

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use an airbrush and spray a brown shade, as rust on rails is not the red shade seen on many models, in fact there is not to much colour change between sleepers, chairs and rails. it all tends to be a fawn brown maybe the effect of brake dust etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (John @ 18 Mar 2007, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Save yourself the time and just buy Tillig track and points, which are already weathered.
Not realy an option as the original poster has said that the track is already laid.

Here's my method for what it's worth.
I paint the rails and sleepers with "Railmatch" sleeper grime, Then add some dry brushed "Railmatch" brake dust colour to the rail webs.

This is done BEFORE ballasting the track.
Once ballasted I just add washes of sleeper grime, brake dust and "coal black" to represent spilt oil etc. This is especialy heavy where locos are likely to stand. I also use weathering powders and real coal dust to represent ash etc from steam loco ashpans.
Hope this helps
Regards
Frank

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Not having an air-brush, I do the track & rails in this manner:-
after track is laid & wired & all works as it should, then I paint the entire track (sleepers & rails) with a chocolate brown acrylic which not only removes most of the gloss off plastic sleepers but coats the shiny metal rail. When tah tis dry , usually within an hour or so, then hand paint the visible sides of rails with small brush & a lighter rust/brown. Of course this does not cover all the rail but leaves gaps of darker brown just like the real thing.
Ballasting using the many varietes of crushed stone leaves fine dusts of greys, etc that will adhere to sleepers & gain give a variance in colours.

Yes ,airbrushing is quicker but I am in no hurry to finish, that to me is part of the hobby, take your time & enjoy every aspect.

The best method to paint track rails is the way you like to do it.

Ron

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't vouch for this myself, as I haven't tried it, but somebody in Model Rail a year or two back suggested using straws (cut lengthways) to mask the rails when you spray them.

Sol - I admire your attitude, but for me weathering track is a job I'd rather someone else (Tillig? Peco!?) did for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts