Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just purchased the CMX Clean Machine for my track cleaning chores.

I am looking to buy a loco which will haul this heavy thing around my layout including up gradients.

The loco will need to have Kaydee couplings on it so it can couple up with the CMX Machine. I have already tried an American outline Kato model and that
really struggles on curves (4ft Radius so they are not tight).

So I guess the question is which manufacturer makes a decent hauling loco with Kaydee couplings.

Thanks in advance

Simba

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I use my Bachmann 9F for my CMX. It struggles a bit up 1:48 with a three foot radius curve. Unless you are a BR steam fan, it's a bit on the expensive side for a maintenance vehicle. From comments made in another thread recently it might be worth considering a Heljan diesel. They don't just do British outline.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Simba @ 8 Nov 2008, 23:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I guess the question is which manufacturer makes a decent hauling loco with Kaydee couplings.

If you want a locomotive that you will be able to run as a "normal" locomotive that fits in with the rest of you stock we will have to know what period/era, prototype ect that you are modelling.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I use a Proto 1000 Fairbanks Morse Erie Built diesel to haul my track cleaning train. This loco weighs about 2lbs and will pull just about anything and Proto 1000 models are cheap as chips.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (Simba @ 9 Nov 2008, 10:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I have just purchased the CMX Clean Machine for my track cleaning chores.

I am looking to buy a loco which will haul this heavy thing around my layout including up gradients.

The loco will need to have Kaydee couplings on it so it can couple up with the CMX Machine. I have already tried an American outline Kato model and that
really struggles on curves (4ft Radius so they are not tight).

So I guess the question is which manufacturer makes a decent hauling loco with Kaydee couplings.

Thanks in advance

Simba

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello People,

Thanks for the replys so far.

I model Swiss and German. Now I would normally have used Roco locos which cope with just about anything but there is the coupling problem.

By the way the layout is Digitrax DCC so the loco needs to have a DCC socket on it.

Cheers

Simba

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Most recent Roco have NEM pockets - if none of yours have NEM pockets then the easy solution would be to get a heavy or weighted wagon with NEM pockets, fit whatever coupling you need to couple to the loco one end & then a Kaydee at the other, then just use it as an adaptor wagon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Nov 2008, 15:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most recent Roco have NEM pockets - if none of yours have NEM pockets then the easy solution would be to get a heavy or weighted wagon with NEM pockets, fit whatever coupling you need to couple to the loco one end & then a Kaydee at the other, then just use it as an adaptor wagon.

Brian...All my Roco have NEM pockets. Thats not the problem. The trouble is the CMX machine does not have NEM pockets so I can not change the coupling on it from Kaydee to Roco etc.

Regards

Simba

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
In that case you have two options - change one of the locos to Kaydee at one end or just when you want to use the DMX or the adaptor wagon as the other option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Nov 2008, 15:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In that case you have two options - change one of the locos to Kaydee at one end or just when you want to use the DMX or the adaptor wagon as the other option.

Brian,

I have just seen Kaydee's website. Which one do I need for Roco NEM Pockets?

Also is Kaydee the same as Kadee?

Many thanks

Simba

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I use my Class 20's with my CMX Clean Machine. I have two that I connect up as a consist. Very powerful. I don't actually use the Clean Machine much as I find it fouls up on the points. A good track rubber and elbow grease is the best way to clean my track.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Simba @ 9 Nov 2008, 15:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Brian,

I have just seen Kaydee's website. Which one do I need for Roco NEM Pockets?

Also is Kaydee the same as Kadee?

Many thanks

Simba

Yes, that's just my incorrect spelling - sorry.

Not too certain which # couplings you will require as I don't use them = maybe one of the members that do can ?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Not too certain which # couplings you will require

The numbers are 17, 18, 19 and 20. The only difference being the length of the shank - i.e. the amount the knuckle projects from the fixing point. 17s are the shortest (very short) and 20s are the longest - generously long. Unless you are particularly bothered about the appearance of the gap between the cleaning wagon and the loco, or intend to purchase more Kadees, I would just buy a single pack of 20s (4 in a pack). That way there's no risk of getting something too short.

And Brian's being a bit hard on himself regarding the spelling; many people spell it "Kaydee" as a search on Google will confirm.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 9 Nov 2008, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And Brian's being a bit hard on himself regarding the spelling; many people spell it "Kaydee" as a search on Google will confirm.

David

Maybe I can trade in the extra "y" for an "e" & add it to where I missed one on another post I made !

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a similar arrangement. The locos with the best "pull" are the Gutzold diesels which weigh a ton and have large motors and flywheels. A 120 will handle any load you can imagine in HO

·
Registered
407 Posts
iv got the n-scale version of the cmx clean machine - i also wanna run a roco track cleaner wagon with it and the tomix electric hoover car next to that so, - what loco do u guys recommend that can haul that lot in n-scale? ... the manufacturer/country etc doesn matter as it'll be run whenever the layout isnt!. i might even need to run a consist to pull/push this lot, was thinking the grafar class 66 with all wheel drive and dcc - ready. any other ideas?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts