Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
There are lost of ways to change polarity Liza's P4 site
Steve Jones Electric Nose
using a manual toggle switch is a very poor idea. Either use a motor with the additional contacts for polarity switching (tortoise) (some Seeps) attachments such as the Hare from Tony's Train exchange, or a polarity switch from Peco PL13 or PL15 twin microswitch I think, sorry my Peco catelogue isn't to hand. Of course the basic Peco turnout is quite DCC friendly, the electrofrogs can be used straight out of the box without polarity switching if you only want to depend on the blade for contact, there maybe some shorting across the frog blade
particularly with Hornby pacific's. Electrofrogs generally don't work as well with DCC but can be used straight out of the box. You must still insulate the toe end inside rails on electrofrogs as you normally would.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Actually I was quite impressed with the Tillig switch machine it also has polarity switching. BTT you have invested in a Peco solenoid and their PL15 there are many other makes which are compeditive on price and superior in operation. With the toroise the blade for want of a better word is normally changed to give better strength. The tortoise can also accept the Hare a DCC decoder than detects when a turnout is incorrectly set and change it automatically, this can be a major advantage on busy junctions.
Tortoise modifications
Tony's train exchange
Tortoise & Peco
Tortoise & Hare
expencive but has some excellent features, and good applications on larger layouts.

QUOTE Tillig hands-down....
I'm helping build a friends LARGE HO scale layout and we've used Peco (both insul & electro frog) and Tillig and the Tilligs BY FAR are more DCC friendly. Peco's are great, but Tillig's are better still. The Peco insulfrogs have a bad habit of causing momentary shorts at the frogs with certain locos. If you're going to use Peco's on a DC system - use the electrofrogs. Yes you have to wire them up but you WON"T have those annoying momentary, system-wide shut-downs when you get a short across the frog. We've also tried thw Walthers but they aren't even close to either the Pecos or Tiligs. quote from a USA forum
I see international models quote the Tillig slow moving turnout motor with polarity switching at £11.00 which is cheaper than Peco by quite a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.