Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (Ben Manicom @ 1 Jun 2006, 21:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does it come with NEM pockets to replace the coupling with something compatible with British stock?
It comes to around £445 after Exchange rate
Im tempted

No it doen't. The coupler pockets are Kadee compatible as the locos came with knuckle couplers from new.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 26 Aug 2005, 21:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow. Looks great. I'll have to check out the options.

It's not clear what the model is made of. Plastic body with metal chassis?

No pictures of the finished model...?

the model is made from ABS plastic and I'd assume some Chinese form of Zinc alloy. Having viewed the model in both test shots and pre-production form I found in both cases it lacked weight and that the inboard trailing truck on bothj engine units were carried on the boiler not on the engine frames as in the prototype. The model is fitted with a QSI sound system which I also found disappointing. While the whistle sounded somewhat like a 60 class the steam chuff was standard QSI noise. I have based my compariso on both the now long out of production Mansfield brass model and the still in production Footplate white metal and brass kit. While the brass model is very expensive, around A$2100 for a reasonable one, the Footplate model can be had for around A$570. This model has both engines powered by Mashima motors through NWSL gearboxes to Romford RP 25 profile drivers. I will stick with my Footplate models as they have the weight and hauling capacity that the RTR steam models seem to lack.
Here are a couple of websites for those that may be interested.

http//:www.trainorama.com.au

http//:www.arkits.com.au

http//:homepage.idx.com.au/austrain/index.htm

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 2 Jun 2006, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks great. How much work do you have to do?

It's a reasonable amount of work and that depends on your skill level. It's a lot of soldering all low temp stuff. I'd say it takes about 40hrs to assemble one and double that if you've never done a whitemetal kit.
I'd like to post a couple of pictures of mine but I've no idea how to get them on here from my computer.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 2 Jun 2006, 14:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie, can you check your links?

Whoops I should really update my links. Try these remember these are all HO scale
Austrains mainly diesels
http://homepage.idx.com.au/austrains/index.htm
if the Austrains one doesen't work drop the index.htm off

Trainorama again mainly diesels but their first steamer id due this year maybe?
http://www.tomshobbies.com.au

AR kits/Footplate models kit and ready to run rolling stock, whitemetal kits and the lone 45class diesel

http://lloydsmodelrail.com.au

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
While the 60 class did do a fair bit of coal hauling in the Hunter Valley non air hoppers weren't a common sight behind them as the non airs were more associated with private collierys. The 60 class hauled the slightly larger LCH in both it's wooden and steel form. later they could be seen hauling the bogie BCH hoppers ( 35t capacity) and the later aluminium CH hoppers (55t capacity). The AD 60 was used to haul block loads of coal of 1200tons from mines to the coal loading facilities at Port Waratah, Newcastle. Perhaps the best to see an AD60 in action was the coal trains from Newstan colliery to Port Waratah. The sight and sounds of double heading Garretts pounding up the grade from Fassifern was a glorious sight which unfortunately I missed by one year. The last Garrett in government service was 6042 which was withdrawn from service at Broadmeadow yard on the 24th of February, 1973 after working 3 return trips hauling coal from Awaba colliery to Wangi Power Station.
There some excellent DVD's with garrets and other NSW steam available and Train Hobby Publications do an excellent profile book of the Garretts in colour.
The non air hoppers were mostly associated with the private coal mines of J&A Brown and others, operating mostly in Cessnock and Maitland area. Cessnock traffic was hauled by the South Matland Railway who maintained a fleet of 10 class 2-8-2T locos built by Beyer-Peacock, some ex Robinson ROD's, and three 2-8-2T's from Kitson's. The coal traffic was interchanged with the government lines at Greta junction. The last steam hauled coal train occured on the 15th of October 1987 when 10 class number 25 was steamed into the shed at Hexam, on the Richmand Vale Railway, for the last time ater 65yrs of service.

The more common government locos to be seen were the 50 class 2-8-0 and these cold be seen hauling everthing.
. This is a Footplate models Superheated 50 class and is powered by a Mashima 1620 driving a NWSL gearbox. Wheels are RP25 profile Romfords. Motor, wheels and gearbox are supplied with the kit as are all the Footplate Models. I'll post another picture with some non air hoppers later when i get time.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 15 Feb 2007, 07:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The first shot is some very nice modelling indeed: must be set somewhere up the Hunter Valley with an AD60 on a long string of archaic "non-air" hoppers and hills behind.

Maybe the hills should be a little more kharki, but otherwise its pretty close to perfect

If those buildings are scratchbuilt , they're quite superb - if kit built merely extremely fine work.....

Sadly I can't afford to spend that much on a side interest , especially given the space you'd have to have to do them justice.

I've sometimes thought Cowan just after electrification around 1960 would make a superb layout in the Stoke Summit mould (but far more interesting) - imagine one of those AD60s crawling round double track hairpins on a 1 in 42 grade with a long rake of coal and a 46 class electric tacked on the front as bank assisting engine (DCC required so you can detach the bank engine into the siding at the station) . On the other road you have Eureka's new C38 pounding through at the head of the Newcastle Flyer, followed by a single decker suburban electric terminating and reversing at the wayside platform

Apparently when the AD60s came onto the Main Northern, crews had to be issued with oxygen masks because air conditions in the short tunnels on Cowan Bank became so bad.

Trouble is , you'd need 2 Garretts and 2 C38s and a couple of 46 class [think EM3] and a few other things and about 50'+ of length to make it work. This is getting to be very serious money, sadly

And I don't like to think of how many thousand gum trees you'd need to make for the scenery

But it would be stunning

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes , for me it was the same " just missed it". That said I did see 6042 when it was steamed to Rohanda Colliery from Broadmeadow in late 74 but the deal being made by what was to be Dorrigo steam museum fell through and 6042 was towed to Thrilmere. There are four garretts in existance, 6029 in Canberra, 6042 at Thrilmere and 6039 and 40 which I think are at Dorrigo.
This pic came from at who was at Glenreagh aa couple of weeks ago. This a NSWGR 19 class 0-6-0 #1919. marvelous little engines these were and very long lived. In fact quite a few 19 class were still pottering about in yards when the first diesl class (40 class from Alco) were being withdrawn.

I also have this picture of 6042 and 6037 climbing Fassifern bank. I'm unsure where this one came from but I think it was sent to me a long time ago.

Anyway enjoy the picture as it 's an awsome sight.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 16 Feb 2007, 00:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie:

A lot of this is "just missed it" stuff for me . NSWGR stean finished about 6-7 years before my few years in Sydney. S. Maitland steam was still operating but as a teenager I never managed to get up into that area - my only sight of it was as a "filler in" sequence the ABC used to use when a TV programme under run

There's a non-air hopper visible in a photo I took on my one visit to Thirlmere - and a rusty 6042 visible in another

RODs (in their LNER guise of 04s) were very much a feature of my UK "home patch" in steam days though I'm by no means old enough to have known them. If they do one in OO I shall probably have to buy one... It's an odd thought that ROD would have exchanged trains with 50 class - and both were designed at much the same time and literally just down the road in Manchester: both Beyer Peacock and the GC's main works were in Gorton in eastern Manchester, and both were replaced by Manchester built 1500V electrics (the 46 class might almost be seen as the next generation on from the EM1 and EM2 Woodhead electrics)

The wires went through to Newcastle just a couple of months before we returned to the UK perminently- if we hadn't flown back to the UK before Christmas I would have certainly made it up there in the summer holidays to sample the new electrification. As it was , I never actually got north of Cowan on a train...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Some pictures of my Footplate Models /DJH kit Garrett.

Garrets were very often seen hauling these BCH type coalhoppers. This is an AR kits BCH with added detail, steps and hopper door handles.

This is a RTR FCH Guards van. made for Trainorama in China.

Not so common around the Hunter valley coal fields but there were a few, is the D55 class 2-8-0 goods loco. Note the southern trype valve gear. This is an oil fired version.

And some non air hoppers. The large letters were for colliery identification ie "B" Bellbird, "A" Abermain "CC" Cessnock Caledonian "H" Hebburn

And a coalfields brake van.

and something big. Not seen on the "Short North" , the lines from Sydney to Newcastle were Mountain typt 4-8-2's. These were three cylinder machines built in two batches. The first , D57 class, used Gresley type conjugated valve gear and were bulkit in the early twenties. The second batch, D58 class, Were built in the fifties and used a derived motion to drive the midlle cylinder.These locs operated on the lines south of Sydney and over the blue mountains to Lithgow. Electrification of the Blue mountains and diesels put paid to these marvelous beasts very early on.

well thats all for now.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ravenser, Well if you have never built a whitemetal loco kit then help is at hand in the form of 3 DvD's. Tony Wright of BRM fame did 3 dvd's called the The Right Track. Two are on loco building anf one on painting and lining. The first two take you through the building of three kits a DJH BR/LNER A-2, a Southeastern Finecast GWR 61xx and an Alan Gibson LMS 4F. The first two are whitemetal and etched brass and the last all etched brass. They are very informative and if you follow Tony's instructions you should be able to build any of the kits with no problems.

Ohh go on be tempted
A NSW steam layout needn't take up much room and you could use the likes of 30class tender engines and 50 class engines and remember the 50 class model will navigate fairly tight curves due to it's blind center drivers a la the prototype. A few diesels are now available from Trainorama 44class in few guises, 47 class which has just been released, 49 class which is due in a month or so, 42 class maybe by christmas and best of all a steam loco. They are doing a 32 class which will have a cast metal boiler for weight and possibly a QSI sound system which should operate on DC or DCC. dEpending on the success of the 32 a 50 class is also planned.

Unfortunately Trainorama products are limited run, what isn't these days, so if not in the shop when they arrive you generally miss out. They like to do things by the preorder method which I must admit I hate with a passion. I generally only get things if I happen to be in Sydney and I'm heading in the direction of Toms
http://www.tomshobbies.com.au/ This is the link to the Trainorama website so I'm tempting you a litle further

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 16 Feb 2007, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie21:

Some very fine work there - and a lot of hard graft as well.

This is dangerous stuff . I'm starting to get tempted. No space whatsover for a NSW layout (I've got a couple of things on the go already) and living in a flat AD60s, D57s and the like are going to be perminently out of reach

However I did manage a couple trips of over the Main Western as far as Lithgow (mainly in a V set double deck interurban I'm afraid, and one of those is a bit more than I can contemplate scratchbuilding , especially without anything in the way of drawings etc ).

The non-air hoppers look rather nice . The thought of a layout featuring a few strings of these being exchanged by D50 s and RODs amidst low green hills is appealing - though I haven't tackled a full whitemetal loco kit with chassis , so this is out of my league again (A whitemetal kit ROD in OO would be a big challenge for me - and an HO version would need to be scratchbuilt)

The brake van is another matter .

Descending to earth with a terrible bump, Hornby have announced a reissue of the ex Lima NSWGR 422 class , which it might well be possible to source in the UK . What drive is inside and whether it will pull the skin off a rice pudden is open to question - the replacement motor bogie in the ex Lima cl 59 is apparently not man enough for a large loco , and I have a dreadful suspicion the same unit may be going in the 422 class

But the thought of trying to gather a few bits of stock for a minor branch terminus one day maybe , perhaps on the edge of the Blue Mountains with a railmotor and a diesel for some freight (I know the 422 class were main line locos but...)

At which point a bogie brake becomes an essential item. UInforunately my detailed knowledge of NSWGR stock runs out around this point - is the Trainorama brake still available , and is it even vaguely appropriate for 70s- 80s minor operations?

Relocating the whole concept to the Hunter Valley would at least save making an awful lot of gum trees and rockfaces

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Last I heard it was the non stream lined one as Steam Era Models have an excellent kit of the steamloined one done by DJH I believe.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 17 Feb 2007, 17:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder if theTrainorama VR S class is the streamlined one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.