Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Rivarossi Big Boy has arrived.

This is what Ontracks have to say about it:-

QUOTE During the late 1930s, the Union Pacific often used helpers to move trains from Ogden to Wasatch. The UP wanted to simplify this move so they asked their "Department of Research and Mechanical Standards" to design a locomotive that could pull a 3600 ton train unassisted over the 1.14% grade of the Wasatch.

The designers determined that to pull a 3600 ton train, a tractive effort of 135,000 lbs would be needed. Assuming a factor of adhesion of 4.0, the weight on drivers would have to be 4.0 * 135,000 = 540,000 lbs. Given an axle loading of 67,500 lbs each, this would require 8 drivers or an x-8-8-x wheel arrangement. The designers agreed upon the 4-8-8-4 design. Next, the horsepower and cylinder sizes were computed based on 300 psi boiler pressure. Although they weren't planning to pull these freight trains at 80 MPH, the DoRMS designed them for 80 MPH in order to have a sufficient factor of safety built into the design. What resulted is considered by many to be the most successful articulated steam locomotive ever built. 4000 was delivered to Omaha at 6PM, September 5, 1941 and the class quickly acquired the nickname "Big Boys"!

This fully re-tooled model features double cardean transmission with flywheels, metal chassis, front headlights and comes DCC-ready with NEM652 interface, length: 475mm

Not too sure how many UK stockists will have this as its a Hornby International product although Guagemaster, Ontracks and a few others are heavily into European HO modelling.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
It's good to see a budget model available. There is some competition in the quality area now that Precision Craft have released their Big Boy to compete with the Trix.

Precision Craft also have a Brass Big Boy which comes complete with it's own rolling road.
Brass Big Boy

There is also a review of the Trix Big Boy on MRF which for many is still the Big Boy of choice.

Trix Big Boy review

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Real smoke and some errr? sheep. Nice

David

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I notice that the Athearn Big Boy is out as well. Makes you wonder why so many manufacturers produce a model of a loco that only had 20 in it's class and only one manufacturer produces an Allagheny and there were 68 of those built, 60 for the Chesapeake and Ohio and 8 for the Virginian where they were christened "Blue Ridge's".

Ozzie21

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE Makes you wonder why so many manufacturers produce a model of a loco that only had 20 in it's class

Because every American HO modeller wants one?

I would guess that the Big Boy is the HO equivalent of the "Flying Scotsman" and is there to showcase the rest of the range of a manufacturer.

That Trix model does sound pretty good also. It seems that HO modellers are spoilt for choice. I would guess that DCC operators would go for Trix and DC operators would go for Rivarossi.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 22 Oct 2006, 16:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Makes me wonder why we hav'nt seen a UK Garret yet.
It evidently had a very poor publicist. No one outside rail enthusiasts have heard of a Garret (isn't that a club somewhere in London?).

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A Garret is a tricky one as should it be produced in OO or HO scale?

Or both? HO would probably be a better scale to choose commercially. There would be massive international interest and it would be a flagship model for any company with the ***** to have a go!

Absolutely agree that it would make a great model to run on any layout and with twin motors it should be able to pull 30 coaches!

Isn't there an Australian manufacturer already offering a ready to run example at a price?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The Eureka Garrat had quite a bit of discussion under it's own thread, Eureka Garratt. It looks like a good model. Two problems though;
first is price it costs close to four hundred quid. In Ozz limited small runs mean higher production costs. Second is that it has QSI sound decoder, they're shit.

It would be an excellent model for someone to produce but it seems if you want one at the moment then you are going to have to get a kit, or alternatively fork out four hundred quid.

These locos are quite popular in Ozz and South Africa with modellers as they operated in these countries. They are Britains equivelant to the Big Boy in that they are some of the largest locos the UK ever produced. Let's face it though it's minority interest and while we all want one that isn't enough to justify a company like Hornby making one.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I disagree with that. i think it is enough of a novelty to justify its production. plus it has worldwide apeal. and as its steam, the model is not going to go out of date any time soon!

I think it has a similar level of appeal to the chinese QJ and once it was made it has proven to be a steady seller.

I really must get around to doing the valvegear on mine. i have the etches, i just always seem to have something better to do.

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I disagree with that. i think it is enough of a novelty to justify its production. plus it has worldwide apeal. and as its steam, the model is not going to go out of date any time soon!

So howcome no-ones making a budget one? If someone makes one at a reasonable price I'll have one, so if you want to hassle the geezer from Hornby next time your hassling him about Blue Pullmans please do.

On second thoughts it might be better if you hassled someone from Bachmann.

I agree with Ozzie about the Allegheny. It's a shame there isn't a decent model of this out at the moment. I believe Rivarossi used to make one. I'd love to see a quality one. It would be great if Precision Craft could knock one out. Their Y6b looks great and they use ESU Loksound decoders.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Neil i dont hassle anyone. i politely lobby them. there is a huge difference.

"So howcome no-ones making a budget one?" they cant make one of evrything.

Allegheny- the riv was a good model but hardly a budget one at £300! perhaps you should see a model and run it before dismissing it as a poor one.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
There has to be a happy medium. between a very basic model and an all singing, all dancing model.

I think hornby does that very well.
incidently i dont think the RIV models will sell very well. they have kept the lima pricing which is distinctly over the top.
lima were having toruble shifting models so they would put their prices up to make there balance sheet look good.

i really cant believe that they are still trying to get £150+ for the TGV's when there are competeing models on the market now.

Comming back to the Big Boy, i honestly dont believe this model has been retooled. i think its the same as the last lima ones. mine was one of the last off the italian production line and its a very good model. but its not "retooled" as hornby are claiming.

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE But it does raise a point that there has to be a happy medium. between a very basic model and an all singing, all dancing model.I suppose it just surprises me that with a big market like the USA that there isn't more models available of the Allegeheny. The Riv one is the only one I am aware of, but look how many Big Boys or GG1's there are. With US outline there is definitely room for all specs of models as there is the market to support it.

QUOTE i really cant believe that they are still trying to get £150+ for the TGV's when there are competeing models on the market now.It's the market they are in. European outline costs more, e.g I have a Lilliput BR05 which costs over 200 Euros and thats tax free. It is made by Bachmann and is essentially the same as a Bachmann UK outline steam engine give or take a Lokpilot decoder and a smoke generator which would come to maybe 40 euros, yet it costs far more. Why? Because train stuff in Germany is dearer. No other reason. They're made in the same factorys as the UK stuff, probably by the same people. Hornby have obviously adopted this pricing strategy.

QUOTE Comming back to the Big Boy, i honestly dont believe this model has been retooledIt would be very unlikely. The best business strategy would be to get the brand name back in the shops before they are forgotten and then sort their image out later. My impression is that business comes first with Hornby.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I just don't see the Riv selling in the US compared to the other makes. I look at it as a bid to cash in on the publicity created by the other models and not serious competition, at least in the States. Who would handle the distribution in the United States?

As far as other models available of the Allegeheny, I would think there are.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Walthers are taking a very keen interest in the Hornby International distribution deal.

The retooling may refer to the chassis although there is a possibility that the body has been retooled as the old Rivarossi tools may not have been compatible with the manufacturing equipment in China.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 33 Posts