Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I notice that the Athearn Big Boy is out as well. Makes you wonder why so many manufacturers produce a model of a loco that only had 20 in it's class and only one manufacturer produces an Allagheny and there were 68 of those built, 60 for the Chesapeake and Ohio and 8 for the Virginian where they were christened "Blue Ridge's".

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well I certainly wouldn't agree with that. The "Borg" in steam days isn't the most popular modelling subject in the US as from latest NMRA findings but the middle diesel period is. I'd guess there wouldn't be to many modellers in the UK that could afford one anyway at 250GBP for that price I'd rather buy a couple of DJH kits or maybe 4 Hornby 8F's.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Gary @ 22 Oct 2006, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Because every American HO modeller wants one?

Gary

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, Rivarossi/Hornby make the only RTR Allegheny. Fujiyama, Overland,Challenger, Key Imports and a couple of others made or imported brass models but these are expensive and haven't been made since about 1992. I can sell you a brass Fujiyama Crown model made in 1984. It cost me about US$2,200 and I've fitted it up for DCC, new gearboxes and professionally painted although it is numbered wrong as it's a 3rd construction batch model that was incorrectly numbered 1601 which is of course a 1st construction batch model. As for the PCM Y6B well having seen and played with one I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 24 Oct 2006, 09:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Personally, I am interested in seeing the Precision Craft one. I really like my Trix Big Boy but I have every reason to believe the PCM one is just as good, possibly better. I'd like to find out. Maybe I should bite the bullet and buy their Y6b to find out?

Oh and Dennis if you know of anyone else who makes an Allegheny can you let me know?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, I didn't like the decoder, not one of loksounds best. The detail is a bit rough in places as is the paint. The cab roof looks like an afterthought and the rivets look way to large. As it stands the loco has now been sent back for repair as the decoder was almost impossible to get in sych, the chuff sound was all noise and the lights failed. I think it makes a good fishing sinker.

Ozzie 21

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.