Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
It's good to see a budget model available. There is some competition in the quality area now that Precision Craft have released their Big Boy to compete with the Trix.

Precision Craft also have a Brass Big Boy which comes complete with it's own rolling road.
Brass Big Boy

There is also a review of the Trix Big Boy on MRF which for many is still the Big Boy of choice.

Trix Big Boy review

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The Eureka Garrat had quite a bit of discussion under it's own thread, Eureka Garratt. It looks like a good model. Two problems though;
first is price it costs close to four hundred quid. In Ozz limited small runs mean higher production costs. Second is that it has QSI sound decoder, they're shit.

It would be an excellent model for someone to produce but it seems if you want one at the moment then you are going to have to get a kit, or alternatively fork out four hundred quid.

These locos are quite popular in Ozz and South Africa with modellers as they operated in these countries. They are Britains equivelant to the Big Boy in that they are some of the largest locos the UK ever produced. Let's face it though it's minority interest and while we all want one that isn't enough to justify a company like Hornby making one.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I disagree with that. i think it is enough of a novelty to justify its production. plus it has worldwide apeal. and as its steam, the model is not going to go out of date any time soon!

So howcome no-ones making a budget one? If someone makes one at a reasonable price I'll have one, so if you want to hassle the geezer from Hornby next time your hassling him about Blue Pullmans please do.

On second thoughts it might be better if you hassled someone from Bachmann.

I agree with Ozzie about the Allegheny. It's a shame there isn't a decent model of this out at the moment. I believe Rivarossi used to make one. I'd love to see a quality one. It would be great if Precision Craft could knock one out. Their Y6b looks great and they use ESU Loksound decoders.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE But it does raise a point that there has to be a happy medium. between a very basic model and an all singing, all dancing model.I suppose it just surprises me that with a big market like the USA that there isn't more models available of the Allegeheny. The Riv one is the only one I am aware of, but look how many Big Boys or GG1's there are. With US outline there is definitely room for all specs of models as there is the market to support it.

QUOTE i really cant believe that they are still trying to get £150+ for the TGV's when there are competeing models on the market now.It's the market they are in. European outline costs more, e.g I have a Lilliput BR05 which costs over 200 Euros and thats tax free. It is made by Bachmann and is essentially the same as a Bachmann UK outline steam engine give or take a Lokpilot decoder and a smoke generator which would come to maybe 40 euros, yet it costs far more. Why? Because train stuff in Germany is dearer. No other reason. They're made in the same factorys as the UK stuff, probably by the same people. Hornby have obviously adopted this pricing strategy.

QUOTE Comming back to the Big Boy, i honestly dont believe this model has been retooledIt would be very unlikely. The best business strategy would be to get the brand name back in the shops before they are forgotten and then sort their image out later. My impression is that business comes first with Hornby.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Personally, I am interested in seeing the Precision Craft one. I really like my Trix Big Boy but I have every reason to believe the PCM one is just as good, possibly better. I'd like to find out. Maybe I should bite the bullet and buy their Y6b to find out?

Oh and Dennis if you know of anyone else who makes an Allegheny can you let me know?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 28 Oct 2006, 16:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil, Rivarossi/Hornby make the only RTR Allegheny. Fujiyama, Overland,Challenger, Key Imports and a couple of others made or imported brass models but these are expensive and haven't been made since about 1992. I can sell you a brass Fujiyama Crown model made in 1984. It cost me about US$2,200 and I've fitted it up for DCC, new gearboxes and professionally painted although it is numbered wrong as it's a 3rd construction batch model that was incorrectly numbered 1601 which is of course a 1st construction batch model. As for the PCM Y6B well having seen and played with one I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Ozzie21
Thanks for the tip on the Y6b Ozzie, what was wrong with it?

$2,200 is a bit out of my budget I'm afraid although I bet it's a beaut. If I win the Lotto I'll give you a shout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.