Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
HI guys I had a look on the Dapol website today and there is news of a new General Electric class 68 locomotive due in 2009 to run for freightliner.

They have placed an order for 30 new locos named project genesis.

See info below.

http://www.freightliner.co.uk/filelibrary/...nesis%20ENG.pdf

I'm excited to find out what it looks like...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 27 Nov 2007, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HI guys I had a look on the Dapol website today and there is news of a new General Electric class 68 locomotive due in 2009 to run for freightliner.
I'm excited to find out what it looks like...

The big question is which of the OO manufacturers will bring it out first - are one or the other already working with Freightliner on this one?

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Nov 2007, 10:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The big question is which of the OO manufacturers will bring it out first - are one or the other already working with Freightliner on this one?

Regards

Well I saw the origional information about it on the Dapol site and they have already stated that they will be making one in 2009 so there is the Warley surprise loco for 2009/2010 then...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 28 Nov 2007, 11:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I saw the origional information about it on the Dapol site and they have already stated that they will be making one in 2009 so there is the Warley surprise loco for 2009/2010 then...

Ah but if they've said they are going to produce it it won't actually be a surprise then.

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Nov 2007, 13:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah but if they've said they are going to produce it it won't actually be a surprise then.

Regards

Yeah they said they were making it but they didn't say when in 2009. Maybe it will be the surprise one and I have just spoiled it for everyone.

Sorry.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I believe I've seen this project referenced to as project genesis. My understanding is that it is a development project to design a new generation of fuel efficient railway locos and freightliner are one of the partners in this

It will still be another AMERICAN import though and probably just as ugly as the 66's

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wonder why they made the announcement but GM didn't have any pics of it, there must be at least some designer sketches in existance.

I'm hoping for a big functional thingmebob like the american loco's (SD 40 i think they are) but more than likley it will be a non-mould breaking love child of a 66 and a 60 (with a but 58 thrown in)

ps I think its great that Dapol are already planning the release, they are committing to build a loco that noone knows what it looks like (except that sketcher designer from GM) what if it is mould breaking?

I know, i know, it probably won't be...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it has a look of a 37.

If they are hoping of bringing the american designed loco like the sd40 then I think I will stop photo-ing trains all together...

·
Registered
37 Posts
[quote name='harkins77' date='28 Nov 2007, 20:35' post='40561'
If they are hoping of bringing the american designed loco like the sd40 then I think I will stop photo-ing trains all together...
[/quote]

A SD40 is just a 66 without the B&Q shed on its back!

I agree with the 37, shame they cant change the motor, like 'real' model railways!

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (zedbob @ 29 Nov 2007, 06:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mould breaking?

I bet the model manufacturers won't!

If there's a race between the four 00 manufacturers any bets?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope dapol aren't designing the real thing though as they may not make it easy to put the dcc chip in lol...

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (zedbob @ 28 Nov 2007, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder why they made the announcement but GM didn't have any pics of it, there must be at least some designer sketches in existance.
GM won't have any pictures of it, because it's from another manufacturer!

Their competitor General Electric are the makers.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE The big question is which of the OO manufacturers will bring it out first - are one or the other already working with Freightliner on this one?

Hornby make their announcement January 1st. Bachmann may not commit until they have seen the Hornby plans. If Dapol are doing the N gauge version that makes it less attractive for Bachmann.

A new Class of loco will be chased by all the manufacturers though as they are infrequent. They could all end up doing it!

Or even ViTrains or Heljan!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 29 Nov 2007, 09:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The announcement has now disappeared from the Dapol website.

Which begs the question - should it have been there in the first place?

Regards

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 28 Nov 2007, 23:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>GM won't have any pictures of it, because it's from another manufacturer!

Their competitor General Electric are the makers.

Doh! Maybe I was getting carried away and thinking of a Vauxhall Class 68, similar to its European counterpart the Opel Class 68.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (zedbob @ 30 Nov 2007, 17:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Doh! Maybe I was getting carried away and thinking of a Vauxhall Class 68, similar to its European counterpart the Opel Class 68.

Or of course it's Australian variant the Holden class 68!!

Regards

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hmm... I'm not getting too excited about this one. The standing joke in North America about GE's Genesis series is, "Is that the locomotive, or the box it came in?" Not a lovely machine to all eyes, but maybe not quite such an aesthetic cludge as the Class 66 (which is built an hour's drive down the road from where I live). But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a full article in this months RAIL magazine. It also has a proposed picture of it, although subject to change before final design freeze. I must say, first impressions were...it's pig ugly, but very quickly I started to like it! It's certainly different!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts