Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thanks for looking, I am hoping you may be able to help me.

I recently acquired the smokebox number plate for Black 5 45225 and I am trying to find out as much about the loco as possible.

From the chap I bought it off I have the following information;

"
This locomotive was built by Armstrong Whitworth as AW1280 in July 1936.
It entered service as LMS 5225, becoming British Railways 45225 in May 1948 after nationalisation of the railways.
Depot allocations over the years included
Liverpool Bank Hall,
Newton Heath,
Mold Junction,
Bangor,
Crewe North,
Stoke
and finally Stockport Edgeley from where it was withdrawn in October 1967.
After storage at Stockport it was sent to Cashmores scrapyard at Newport in Feb 1968 and scrapped by July 1968.
"

I would really appreciate it if anybody else can provide more information for me.

I am also looking for good photos of the loco, I have managed to find a good one at Stockport Shed and 2 others. If you have any photographs of the loco I would love to hear from you. A colour picture showing the smokebox number would be fantastic.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Garry

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Garry

I'll have to go through the library later, but I have a feeling their might be a pic of it in "Steam for Scrap" published around 1988.

Regards

John

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There are some 18 'Black Fives' in preservation. They can be found on lines which include North Yorkshire Moors, Midland Railway Centre (Butterley), Llangollen Railway, National Railway Museum at York, Seven Valley Railway and East Lancs. Try the www.heritagerailways.co.uk for more information - they have a locomotive database on their site. There are plenty of photos out there on the web as well!
If you want to know how the number plate was painted, in BR days it was black with white paint on the numbers, gloss I think but it went rapidly dirty and lost the shine.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there with either pictures or information on this loco.

Thanks.
Garry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Don't kone if this any use but on 18th June 1966 45225 was seen at Crewe South shed.
I know because i have just looked through my old train spoting books

hows that for a nerd.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Garry,

In the book Stanier locomotive classes by A. J. Powell page 34 there is a photo of 5225 new in LMS livery outside Newcastle works dated 8/36. This was the first loco of lot 131 the second batch from A.W. and was the first to have a lengthened firebox with sloping throatplate and other boiler improvements. This was also the first to have steam sanding.

Information from an internet search states that this loco was used in the experimental liveries trials of 1948 in the mixed traffic lined black. The photos of this which I have found were not for 45225. Another photo was found but the quality is not good of 45225 at Llandudno.

Regards Bizerba

1 - 8 of 8 Posts