Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Broadway Limited has a new brass loco for sale for $450.00. This seems a snip for what looks like a finely detailed loco with sound. Details below

NYC L-4 Mohawk HYBRID

Broadway Limited Imports is proud to announce the brass-hybrid New York Central Mohawk 4-8-2 steam locomotive with sound in HO scale. The model is accurately detailed and most importantly, priced affordably. The Mohawk is designed and produced for operators who are interested in accurate models that run smoothly and reliably. Here are some of the features offered with this model.

Brass Construction
Brass Locomotive and tender with accurate detail
Premium caliber painting
Out-of-the-box operation for DC and DCC (with system auto-sensing)
5-pole can motor with skew wound armature and fly wheel
Powerful High Fidelity DC/DCC Sound equipped with authentic NYC Mohawk sounds
Nickel Silver rods and valve gear
Full cab detail
Prototypical light operation
Scale operating Kadee couplers
Builder's plate
Golden white LED
Overview
Steam engines with the 4-8-2 wheel arrangement are usually called "Mountains." But NYC called theirs Mohawks named after the Mohawk River, as they found "Mountain" inappropriate for their flat route. NYC had four different classes of Mohawks named L-1 through L-4. The L-3 and L-4 classes were used both for freight and passenger services. A total of fifty L-4 Mohawks were produced by Lima Locomotive Works in 1943. They had huge tender coal space supported by two 6-wheel trucks. Many L-4 locomotives were equipped with smoke deflectors in their later years. The New York Central became the largest user of this wheel arrangement with 600 locomotives of this type as this type is best suited in many ways for high speed operation on flatland than slow mountain slogging, with its 4-wheel leading trucks for stability at speed. Building the most accurate and best running Mohawk is the goal of this project for our deserving customers.

Minimum Radius
TBD. Currently 22".

Production Schedule
Delivery is scheduled for Early 2009.

At this price this seems like an absolute bargain given the Big Boy was around $2,000. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Damn, very tempting , at the price of a new Roco Br52 !! Maybe even cheaper.

There must be a catch somewhere !?

Baykal

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Makes me want to change over to HO at thats price ...... given the build quaility.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 20 Dec 2008, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Damn, very tempting , at the price of a new Roco Br52 !! Maybe even cheaper.

There must be a catch somewhere !?

Baykal
Yes, Erkut although I still went for the BR52.

There must be a catch that I'm missing too as this is incredibly cheap for a brass loco.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its a hybrid model.

Looking at the website, it says hybrids have the brass models drivetrain and chassis, brass superstructure, but less detail, some of it in plastic and/or diecast, compared to full brass models.

Still a bargain in my view.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I had a good look at one of the BLI UP TTT 6/7 2-10-2 hybrid on Thursday. All I can say is wow!! It is hard to tell wether the model is brass, plastic or cast metal the finish on it is excellent. These hybrid models utilise BLI's cast chassis and motor/gearbox with and brass superstructure. Detail parts like air pumps,tanks, feedwater heaters etc are lost wax brass castings, tender trucks appeared to be plastic. I am sorley tempted but it a UP loco and I don't own anything by the Borg. Retail price about A$850.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Neil, yes it's an excellent tender. They come in coal or oil burning varieties. The snow plow front is optional.

Charles Emerson
Queensland

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 21 Dec 2008, 16:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very tempting indeed Charles. That looks really good. Love the tender.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 20 Dec 2008, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, Erkut although I still went for the BR52.

Wow, you did?
That means we will get a full review on it when it arrives then ?

Await anxiously.

Baykal

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Dec 2008, 04:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, you did?
That means we will get a full review on it when it arrives then ?

Await anxiously.

Baykal
Yes Erkut, that would be correct. I'm just waiting on Modelbahn Kramm sending it.

Charles, I like the snow plough. It looks really good. Bit like one of those cow catchers.

cheers

Neil

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just to ad to this topic, I took delivery this morning of a BLI TTT Hybrid and can confirm the excellent quality.
The price listed at BLI is the same as the Mohawk at $450 and I had to pay £375 so expect about the same.
It IS difficult to tell if it is brass or plastic but the weight alone shows there must be some heavy metal in there.
The Youngs valve gear is fascinating as it is driven from the crossheads and not a return crank and therefore
must cross sides in order to work like the ancient GWR "scissors" gear.
Driver and fireman are present in the cab and there is a mass of fine pipework so it is difficult to handle easily without fear of breaking something.
I have run it on analogue power and all works fine so am loking forward to trying it on DCC.
The only annoying feature on analogue is a "Reset" voice mesage if the power is turned below the sound threshold and I hope that this is just an analogue feature.
I am modelling part of Sherman hill on the U.P. main line in the 50s and the loco I have is an oil burner.
This fits in nicely as some were transferred there in the early 50s for banking duties although Sherman was a coal burning area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts