Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has managed to get the RCI BD-8D (with the diode bridge installed) from Oaktree Systems to work the Hornby DCC Elite or Select I would like to know how please. The block shows that is occupied in both TrainController 5.8 (when it is connected to a computer via the IO-48 board) and with its own LED output, whether the BD-8D is connected to the computer or not. I have followed all the recommendations from Oaktree Systems, including installing and removing all relevant links, measuring resistance (which is infinite) between rails with no controller connected and all sorts of configurations but unless someone can tell me differently, I am rapidly concluding that this board is not compatable with the Elite or Select DC

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Chuffed @ 13 Apr 2008, 23:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone has managed to get the RCI BD-8D (with the diode bridge installed) from Oaktree Systems to work the Hornby DCC Elite or Select I would like to know how please. The block shows that is occupied in both TrainController 5.8 (when it is connected to a computer via the IO-48 board) and with its own LED output, whether the BD-8D is connected to the computer or not. I have followed all the recommendations from Oaktree Systems, including installing and removing all relevant links, measuring resistance (which is infinite) between rails with no controller connected and all sorts of configurations but unless someone can tell me differently, I am rapidly concluding that this board is not compatable with the Elite or Select DC

***How are you connecting the system up and what are you expecting to happen?

* simple detectors require a form of IO board between the operating system and the detector
* all DCC control systems need some form of device between them and the detector. to translate simple detection into a command to do something - be it a black box or a computer system etc...

It looks like the detector is fine and the detector and IO together are working fine with the computer - are U having problems with comms between computer and detector or are you trying to get something to happen with a direct connection between detector and dcc system?

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 Apr 2008, 06:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***How are you connecting the system up and what are you expecting to happen?

It looks like the detector is fine and the detector and IO together are working fine with the computer - are U having problems with comms between computer and detector or are you trying to get something to happen with a direct connection between detector and dcc system?

Richard
DCCconcepts

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried various configurations.
The very basic system is having the Hornby Elite working straight from the box, that is no computer, no EB3 circuit breakers, no additions whatsoever.
TH BD8D board from Oaktree can also be used as "stand-alone". It has a seperate 12v DC regulated Power supply
One track supply from the Elite is connected to a diode bridge, which is then connected to the BD8D
An LED is connected to the corresponding LED terminal on the BD8D
The LED stays on whether a train is on the track or not.

That is the very basic configuration but the result is the same if the BD8D is connected to the IO48, through the supplied USB interface to COM4. The Elite is on Com5. TrainController 5.8 shows the block "occupied" at all times, the LED on the BD8D stays on regardless.

OAKTREE are unable to come up with an answer but are sending a second BD8D to try.

Philip

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Chuffed @ 14 Apr 2008, 14:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried various configurations.
The very basic system is having the Hornby Elite working straight from the box, that is no computer, no EB3 circuit breakers, no additions whatsoever.
TH BD8D board from Oaktree can also be used as "stand-alone". It has a seperate 12v DC regulated Power supply
One track supply from the Elite is connected to a diode bridge, which is then connected to the BD8D
An LED is connected to the corresponding LED terminal on the BD8D
The LED stays on whether a train is on the track or not.

That is the very basic configuration but the result is the same if the BD8D is connected to the IO48, through the supplied USB interface to COM4. The Elite is on Com5. TrainController 5.8 shows the block "occupied" at all times, the LED on the BD8D stays on regardless.

OAKTREE are unable to come up with an answer but are sending a second BD8D to try.

Philip

OK - now I understand. You cannot get the detector to change state - even though nothing is on the track, it is showing "occupied" / LED is on. Sorry, I mis read the first time.

just checking as I don't specifically know the Oaktree detector.

Without knowing the circuit the only comment I can make is that if it works with DCC it will certainly work with the Elite, and should work with the select, so the brand of controller will not be an issue.

to eliminate the ontroller as an issue... I'm guessing it is not fussy about power type but needs SOME voltage at the track. try it a with a DC controller turned to about 1/2 or perhaps with nothing but a 9 volt battery connected to the isolated track section you are connecting the detector to instead of a DCC system.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 Apr 2008, 07:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK - now I understand. You cannot get the detector to change state - even though nothing is on the track, it is showing "occupied" / LED is on. Sorry, I mis read the first time.

just checking as I don't specifically know the Oaktree detector.

Without knowing the circuit the only comment I can make is that if it works with DCC it will certainly work with the Elite, and should work with the select, so the brand of controller will not be an issue.

to eliminate the ontroller as an issue... I'm guessing it is not fussy about power type but needs SOME voltage at the track. try it a with a DC controller turned to about 1/2 or perhaps with nothing but a 9 volt battery connected to the isolated track section you are connecting the detector to instead of a DCC system.

Richard
DCCconcepts

This sounds like a problem we ran into with the MERG current detectors and it was traced to the tracks acting as aerials and inducing a current in the detection coil hence always showing the section as occupied. The effect was related to the length of the block and to the gauge. The solution was to add a capacitor to our design.

I have never heard of Oaktree detectors so this comment may be well off the mark but it is offerred just as an idea from my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have now pulled out my last strand of hair .... and still have the problem. In fact I have given up and asked Oaktree to take back the system. I await their reply with interest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have solved the problem - it was so simple!

There was a points decoder attached to this part of the track - the points decoder draws current ........
Solution - all my points decoders now have a separate supply and are not linked to the track at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts