Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,961 Posts
The terminal station has the air of a 'London Grand Grand Central Station' about it; ( as observed above, LMS, LNER and Southern types are clearly identifiable). Except that had such a thing been built it would ideally have been a through station. And a very valuable national asset...

·
In depth idiot
7,961 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 Sep 2008, 18:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wasn't one of the Liverpool Street pilots painted blue during the 50's?
Yes. For sure a J69/1 0-6-0T no 68619, excellent photographs exist showing to stunning effect the old GER livery colour. I believe that an N7 was also for a time kept very beautifully, but don't have a colour picture. Both rather smaller engines than what is in the jigsaw illustration, and the GER blue was a deep ultramarine shade; the NRM's J69 currently carries this livery.

·
In depth idiot
7,961 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 24 Oct 2008, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The station photo was a late wartime poster production for the Ministry of Information .. The magazine thinks it was made to give the impression of the return of normalcy once the war was over.
Whereas of course, anyone who actually knew the prewar railway system before deparating for what may have been many years overseas service or imprisonment, would have looked at that and thought, 'Oh, things have obviously changed a lot, will I have to use a new London station instead of familiar Euston/Kings Cross/Waterloo/Victoria?' Never trust an artist...

·
In depth idiot
7,961 Posts
Even without the Underground it has to be London for a joint LMS/LNER/Southern terminal on that scale. Presumably the GWR entire had been bombed out of existence? That's a pretty traumatic message a returning Bristol boy is receiving...

The power of pictures is a thing to behold. I once had the job of helping an overseas visitor see the sights as efficiently as possible while in London. She had seen the 'Thames TV' logo which was a composite of major landmarks, and was deeply disappointed to be unable to take a matching photograph. Never trust an artist, irresponsible lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts