Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 28 Oct 2008, 11:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even without the Underground it has to be London for a joint LMS/LNER/Southern terminal on that scale. Presumably the GWR entire had been bombed out of existence? That's a pretty traumatic message a returning Bristol boy is receiving...

The power of pictures is a thing to behold. I once had the job of helping an overseas visitor see the sights as efficiently as possible while in London. She had seen the 'Thames TV' logo which was a composite of major landmarks, and was deeply disappointed to be unable to take a matching photograph. Never trust an artist, irresponsible lot.

My wife is an artist and I'll guarantee that she is a darned sight more responsible than you will ever be , going by your last remark.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I have managed to locate the National Archive's information on this picture. It says:
"Railway terminus in London" by Grace Golden, probably 1939-1940
Catalogue ref: INF 3/1740
A highly detailed painting of a railway terminus in London, busy with a mix of brightly-dressed civilians and khaki-clad soldiers off to war, as the trains steam in and out in the background.

This would indicate that the magazine I saw it in was a bit inaccurate putting it towards the end of the world. Full picture and the description can be viewed at
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/thearto...t/INF3_1740.htm

There is no explanation as to the reason for the creation of the picture or of its subsequent use, alas.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Thanks for that link John, I think I may be doing some serious hunting on the site in general.

Regards

21 - 23 of 23 Posts