Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Best place for pics is google images and type blue pullman there's a nice pic of 2 side by side at paddington from the 53a collection and a picture of one in later life with jumper cables on the end.
If hornby are prepared to charge around £160 for a pendolino which by their own admission isn't going to be all whistles and bells then surely the same could be done for this set.
It seems cost is a good excuse when it suits and a pretty feeble one in my opinion.
Given the popularity on this forum of the BR transitional era then it seems logical to model it to me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
So we will continue to see 40 year old coaches selling for £30 to £40 each then which is about the same as a 4 car pendolino set if my maths is correct.
They could compromise and do the mk2 air con stock that I think its fragonset are converting for special charter services.
The cars needn't be 100% accurate to sell well, just passable seems to do the trick with everything else judging by the article in BRM about detailing the new Gresley stock which is another carriage deemed worthy of £35 per item!Maybe they are working on the blue pullman as we spaek and are throwing red herrings to distract us a bit.
After all they are reissuing the Lord of the Isles, a loco first produced over 40 years ago and last seen in the early '80's albeit in a limited edition pack before it makes its way to Sodor to have a sex change and its face painted!

·
Registered
763 Posts
The blue pullman liveried mk2's could be a worth while repaint for all the first class vintage airfix blue/grey coaches which seem to be otherwise worthless. Fox do a set of transfers for the original pullman set which could probably be utilised for the crests and wording. I've also seen a picture of one of the class 47's painted into a matching livery but can't remember which mag it was in.
One other small point about the old triang model it had flush glazing originally at a time when you were lucky to get any insides in a carriage.
On the subject of flog it now or keep hold i suppose it depends if its a 3 car set or just the power cars. The sets sell well for the centre cars alone the power cars on their own aren't so valuable.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've also read a review about the new Fragonset mk2 blue pullman set and those coaches look very good in the livery. Could be a future repaint project for all the airfix first open coaches i have.
Incidentally i was at the NRM the other week and the livery on the prototype HST power car is exactly the same as the reverse grey and blue livery applied to the pullman sets in later life. The same livery Bachmann are going to be doing their mk1 pullman coaches in.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Assuming they are all power and dummy cars around £50 the lot! Now the electric in the foreground is a different matter. According to Ramsays its worth £120-£160 alone. So on ebay make it double that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Going on Ramsays they reckon for older stuff they give the price for a "nice boxed example" as mint boxes are like hens teeth. Would it take much to replace the cellophane?

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Ben Manicom @ 20 Apr 2006, 10:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In several exhibitions locally i have seen blue pullmans for sale but they are always in a bad state with the paint and body work scratched and in some cases all of the white has been scraped or fallen off leaving a horrible blue mess
You mean like the one at the top of the stack which must've just finished a run as a footex! If it was a centre car even in that condition they still go for good money. I got rid of a pair of power and dummy cars last year that someone had varnished with something that was far from clear. They didn't go for much but I didn't pay much either. Darn things sounded awful on my modern track and were nearly as noisy as standing next to a real loco.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've seen the Northern Belle set pulling into Leeds. It was a couple of years ago on a Saturday morning so probably on a railtour. Kind of odd in this day and age especially when all I usually see are Sprinters and Nodding Donkeys at that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.