Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for those who want a bit of Blue Pullman heaven. Simon Kohler has suggested that it seems daft for Hornby to reincarnate the old Blue Pullman whilst there are still thousands out there up for sale. So really the only solution is for modellers to buy them all up so that Hornby no longer have this excuse!

Vectis auctions have three very nice Blue Pullman lots in their auction at Benn Hall, Rugby, on 21st July.

Lot 4457 ( pictured above) - Triang 6-car blue Pullman Diesel Unit comprising power and dummy Trailer Cars and 4 x R426 type 6 Parlour Car (2 in original boxes), one car slightly faded and has had passengers added to interior, conditions Good Plus to Near Mint with 2 Good Plus to Excellent boxes. (6)
Estimate: £90-£120

Lot 4459 (pictured below) - Triang R52 3-car blue Pullman DMU (with crest to both ends) comprising Power and Dummy Trailer Cars along with type 6 centre car, oval of Super 4 track and part used bottle of oil, condition Excellent to Excellent Plus in Good Plus to Excellent Plus box with all inner packaging, the lot also includes R425 type 6 Parlour Car, condition Excellent in Excellent box. (2)
Estimate: £70-£90

Lot 4509 (pictured below) - Triang Hornby 6-car blue Pullman Diesel Unit comprising power and dummy trailer cars and 4 x type 6 Parlour Cars, conditions Good Plus to Excellent Plus and are contained in RS52 blue Pullman set box with most of the inserts missing and no track.
Estimate: £80-£110

Expect to pay more than estimate in all cases and remember the 20% or so to add on top for commision and VAT.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to say I preferred the Blue Pullman in it's later blue/grey livery a l HST prototype. Strangely enough over the last couple of years I have seen more of the earlier ones for sale than the later ones.

Regards

John

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've assembled 2 Blue Pullman sets over the years, mainly out of nostalgia! I also like the later livery, but sadly Hornby butchered the moulds to remove the excellent flush glazing, so I've avoided it.

A new version would be very, very welcome - the original is very compromised in dimensions and detail. At one time, all too briefly, we had an alternative - the excellent Kitmaster models, complete with 1st/3rd/kitchen variations, flush windows, etc. I wonder what happened to those moulds? Not that they'd be much use after 40+ years!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I agree. There is more than one company out there and Hornby are being somewhat shortsighted if they think a 1960's era model that was to short, powered by a single drive is going to make it in todays scale conscious world. Mind you if one comes up down under I may weaken as it was the second train I was given plus a couple of kitmaster coaches.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 19 Jul 2007, 05:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But why should it be Hornby that builds the Blue Pullman they are not the only model company out there.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21)There is more than one company out there and Hornby are being somewhat shortsighted if they think a 1960's era model that was to short, powered by a single drive is going to make it in todays scale conscious world.

I agree. but something would be better than nothing. perhaps the railroad range? (If you are reading this Mr Kohler that was a ****HINT****)

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prices realised for the above in the order of the pictures:-

£150
£110
£100

All plus 20% buyers premium.

Average price between £20 to £30 per coach with premium included. Similar prices to the new Triang Pendolino coaches!

What if Virgin Trains or First Great Western commissioned Pullman to produce a new fleet of Blue Pullmans?

Might it not be possible to do a Voyager or Pendolino in Blue Pullman livery?

That would be a complete eye catcher on the West Coast Mainline as it trundled up and down.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Oops- don't quite know what happened her, but I appear to have double posted.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 23 Jul 2007, 20:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What if Virgin Trains or First Great Western commissioned Pullman to produce a new fleet of Blue Pullmans?

Happy modelling
Gary

It would be lovely to see brand new Pullmans although it could be a bit tricky as the Pullman company was absorbed by BR tears ago and has long since dissappeared. I think the lat Pullmans, by Metro Cammell, were introduced about 1968.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 24 Jul 2007, 05:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might it not be possible to do a Voyager or Pendolino in Blue Pullman livery?

That would be a complete eye catcher on the West Coast Mainline as it trundled up and down.

Happy modelling
Gary
Can't find Blue Pullman livery on a Pendolino but heres, Inter City Swallow,
GNER

Stagecoach

Here's an HST in Blue Pullman livery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts