Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Blueline loco by Broadway and want to install a DCC chip. However while I can programme the DCC chip (out of the loco) I cannot read the sound chip that is in the loco.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 23 Sep 2008, 20:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Blueline loco by Broadway and want to install a DCC chip. However while I can programme the DCC chip (out of the loco) I cannot read the sound chip that is in the loco.

Hi Kauri,
Welcome to the forum,

You may be as well asking on the DCC part of the forum about this, telling us the decoder and your controller, i will mail admin and ask them to possibly move your posting.

Best Regards.

Nick.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Kauri

This may be one of the sound decoders that wont read back with the Lenz system
You should be able to change the address though , even with both decoders plugged in.
It should be able to change both addresses at the same time

The blueline Loco's are quite economical in price I was considering buying one for a Christmas present
their sound equiped Loco's work out cheaper than a ESU Loksound decoder!

There are a lot of Blueline Loco's offered New on Ebay

Let us know how you get on with the programing

Regards Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 24 Sep 2008, 03:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Blueline loco by Broadway and want to install a DCC chip. However while I can programme the DCC chip (out of the loco) I cannot read the sound chip that is in the loco.

*** I do many many Blueline for people that cannot programme them.

You cannot change it reliably with many brands of controller.
You cannot reliably read the sound decoder at all so don't bother to try.

The NCE Powercab is best at it as it has the best programming power of all DCC systems.

You need to install the motor drive chip then programme in paged or programming track mode. Both should programme OK at the same time.

If your system won't do that then take out the motor chip and programme loco only. programme motor chip separately then install.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 24 Sep 2008, 04:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** I do many many Blueline for people that cannot programme them.

You cannot change it reliably with many brands of controller.
You cannot reliably read the sound decoder at all so don't bother to try.

The NCE Powercab is best at it as it has the best programming power of all DCC systems.

You need to install the motor drive chip then programme in paged or programming track mode. Both should programme OK at the same time.

If your system won't do that then take out the motor chip and programme loco only. programme motor chip separately then install.

regards

Richard

Thanks Nick for putting me in the correct forum. Thanks for Zimil and Richard for your assistance.
Zimil the Blueline selection by Broadway are excellent value for your money, really good detail and the diesels have plenty of weight and excellent pulling power. I have a few but have not chipped one yet. One was left to me for chipping by a friend and now I am looking for assistance. The chip I am using is a Bachmann EZCommand 3 function decoder. All I want to do is change the address in the sound chip to match the DCC chip (71).
However when I install the chip and put it on the programming track only the DCC chip changes address, as Richard has stated already. I changed the DCC chip to address 3 and tried in Ops mode on the mainline. As I use a Lenz 100 the only function that cannot be changed in Ops are CV1, 17 and 18 which are the address.
So I Programmed the DCC chip separately, but I have failed to program the sound chip. I have tried it on the programming track with the top board fitted and it removed but no joy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 23 Sep 2008, 20:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Blueline loco by Broadway and want to install a DCC chip. However while I can programme the DCC chip (out of the loco) I cannot read the sound chip that is in the loco.
Blueline decoders are quite fussy about the programming modes used and are not compliant to the letter of the specs. They claim to support direct mode programming but do not implement both direct bit and direct byte as they should. Depending what your programmer expects, this can cause problems.

They can be programmed with a SPROG II (shameless plug!) with the latest firmware and a recent version of DecoderPro. There's a blueline compatibility option in the SPROG console in DP.

Regards,

Andrew Crosland
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Kauri

I was going to suggest that the SprogII is probably the cheapest option for Programming the blueline sound decoders
But Andrew Beat me to it!

The Lenz LZV100 command station (version 3.5) cannot access all CV's either .This has been corrected with the 3.6 upgrade
CV33 for example wont read with Lenz 3.5 LZV100

I have been using the DecoderPro Program with the Lenz System and it is a useful tool for writing and reading CV's and keeping a record of what you have done to various Loks

Hope this Helps

Regards Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 24 Sep 2008, 17:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Nick for putting me in the correct forum. Thanks for Zimil and Richard for your assistance.
Zimil the Blueline selection by Broadway are excellent value for your money, really good detail and the diesels have plenty of weight and excellent pulling power. I have a few but have not chipped one yet. One was left to me for chipping by a friend and now I am looking for assistance. The chip I am using is a Bachmann EZCommand 3 function decoder. All I want to do is change the address in the sound chip to match the DCC chip (71).
However when I install the chip and put it on the programming track only the DCC chip changes address, as Richard has stated already. I changed the DCC chip to address 3 and tried in Ops mode on the mainline. As I use a Lenz 100 the only function that cannot be changed in Ops are CV1, 17 and 18 which are the address.
So I Programmed the DCC chip separately, but I have failed to program the sound chip. I have tried it on the programming track with the top board fitted and it removed but no joy.

*** Its a curse for lenz owners that it can't change address in ops mode - its a really useful feature when its implemented and there's no way other loco's get programmed as the controller first asks "which loco do you want to programme..."

For the Lenz 100, try adding a 100 ohm resistor to one lead to the programming track - this usually helps.

Remove the motor decoder and don't worry about the chip reading back. Just go through the correct sequence for programming track changes to the address you want.

Now install the drive decoder which will programme fine in place (or if U prefer programme then install)

Keep it up - it CAN be done.

If you need more tips, there are programming instuction cheat sheets on the BLI website

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts