Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I believe this is the approach to "Titfield" station (actually Monkton Combe station in the village of that name) in the film "The Titfield Thunderbolt" made in 1952 by Ealing Studios. The line was the Limpley Stoke - Camerton line, near Bath, which had closed to freight track in 1950 and passenger traffic before then.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong and right.

The station was Monkton Combe but the village was an amalgam of various locations, and this is Church Hill in Freshford, the distinctive large building was a brewery.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Ah - oh well, 50% right! I couldn't find my booklet on the making of the film - seems to have got buried somewhere!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can guess what we have been watching over the break........

Freshford has hardly changed and the farm in the tank-filling sequence still exists but the distinctive landscape of slag heaps has gone. The area is still as pretty as the film portrayed it over fifty years ago, even in the middle of winter.

One odd sequence, the film begins with a S&D train passing over the Camerton branch, the S&D train is hauled by a Bulleid Light Pacific with a cut-down tender....the film was made in 1951 (released in '52) was this one of the first Bulleids to lose its raves?

Tim

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (72C @ 27 Dec 2008, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One odd sequence, the film begins with a S&D train passing over the Camerton branch, the S&D train is hauled by a Bulleid Light Pacific with a cut-down tender....the film was made in 1951 (released in '52) was this one of the first Bulleids to lose its raves?

Damn your eyes.......

I'll have to watch it now and then check my stuff on the Bulleids.

I'll let you know my findings.

Regards

G

·
Hi,

This question has nothing to do with Railway modelling. Why HMS Ark Royal for your picture???

Best Regards

Dick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts